Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Go
Search posts:

Do Dental Amalgam ("silver") Filling Contain Toxic Materials?

Posted Aug 12 2010 11:00am 3 Comments
Silver fillings are made up of five different metals, amalgamated together to form a solid mass which hardens in the mouth/teeth. The main ingredient in amalgam is mercury, which accounts for about 50% of the complete filling. The other ingredients are silver, copper, tin, zinc and occasionally nickel. It has been shown that mercury is continuously relieved from mercury dental fillings in the form of mercury vapor and abraded particles. The process is further stimulated and can be increased as 15-fold by simply chewing (Americans are known of chewing gums with aspartame, the artificial sweetener which is harmful to your health), brushing the teeth, hot drinks and even swishing your mouth with a solution of hydrogen peroxide, used to reduce dental plaque.

Mercury is extremely poisonous - published research from two scientists at Utah State University shows that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium and even arsenic - accumulating over time in the various tissues of the body, particularly the brain and kidneys. In human autopsy studies it has been found that there is a direct correlation between the amount of mercury found in the brain and the number of mercury fillings in the mouth. In essence, all of the elements comprising dental amalgam are toxic metals. Mercury has a very high absorption rate and is capable of entering the human body very rapidly and complete and the vapor is fat solvable and neutral electrically. It has the ability to easily penetrate cell membranes and pass rapidly into the body from the blood into the body cells and stays there.

Besides mercury amalgam fillings there is a daily intake from mercury derived air, water, food (fish) as well as from clothes, paints. However, the effects of heavy-metal poisoning tend to be slow as the toxicity builds up. Other symptoms are headaches, upset stomach, colics, insomnia, poor concentration, lack of coordination, multiple sclerosis, hyperactivity, learning disabilities. Strong symptoms of lead poisoning are gums lined up with a blue tinge, muscle weakness and mental disturbances, memory loss, impotence, reproductive disorders, mental retardation, blindness, constipation, nausea, vomiting, paralysis of the extremities, insanity and appetite loss.


References
It's All In Your Head, Dr. Hal A. Huggins, ISBN 0895295504

Mercury Free, James Earl Hardy, ISBN 0964930102

Tooth Truth, Frank J. Jerome, ISBN 1890035130

Hidden Dangers in Dental Care, Dr. Hal A. Huggins, Tomas, E. Levy, ISBN 1571741178


Comments (3)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first

Mercury is a heavy, silvery-white metal. It is a relatively poor conductor of heat, but a fair conductor of electricity. Mercury readily forms alloys with other metals, called amalgams. An electrical discharge will cause mercury to combine with the  noble gases argon, krypton, neon, and xenon. Mercury and its compounds are highly poisonous. Mercury is readily absorbed across unbroken skin or though the respiratory or gatroinstentinal tract. It acts as a cumulative poison. Mercury is very volatile in air. When room temperature air (20°C) is saturated with mercury vapor, the concentration greatly exceeds the toxic limit. The concentration, and thus the danger, increases at higher temperatures.

The mixed metals create a galvanic response in the mouth -- electricity.
Given these facts, what's the controversy? Seriously.

Mercury is a heavy, silvery-white metal. It is a relatively poor conductor of heat, but a fair conductor of electricity. Mercury readily forms alloys with other metals, called amalgams. An electrical discharge will cause mercury to combine with the  noble gases argon, krypton, neon, and xenon. Mercury and its compounds are highly poisonous. Mercury is readily absorbed across unbroken skin or though the respiratory or gatroinstentinal tract. It acts as a cumulative poison. Mercury is very volatile in air. When room temperature air (20°C) is saturated with mercury vapor, the concentration greatly exceeds the toxic limit. The concentration, and thus the danger, increases at higher temperatures.

The mixed metals create a galvanic response in the mouth -- electricity.
Given these facts, what's the controversy? Seriously.

Mercury is the most hazardous non-radioactive substance on earth.  The most hazardous substance is plutonium.  Here are a few more facts:

Mercury is a heavy, silvery-white metal. It is a relatively poor conductor of heat, but a fair conductor of electricity. Mercury readily forms alloys with other metals, called amalgams. An electrical discharge will cause mercury to combine with the  noble gases argon, krypton, neon, and xenon. Mercury and its compounds are highly poisonous. Mercury is readily absorbed across unbroken skin or though the respiratory or gatroinstentinal tract. It acts as a cumulative poison. Mercury is very volatile in air. When room temperature air (20°C) is saturated with mercury vapor, the concentration greatly exceeds the toxic limit. The concentration, and thus the danger, increases at higher temperatures.

 http://chemistry.about.com/od/elementfacts/a/mercury.htm

 That said, what's the controversy?  Seriously.  

Post a comment
Write a comment: