Chocolate Review, Service Appointment Woes, Handling Protein
Posted Apr 09 2010 4:42pm
TGIF! How's your day going? Mine started off with a dental teeth cleaning appointment gone wacky. I went to the dentist 4 months ago and mentioned at that time that I was less than impressed with the office. However, because they already had all my paperwork on file, and I didn't feel like doing new patient paperwork and driving all over in search of a new dentist, I just went back to the same place. Big Mistake!
The highlights of the calamity: They were running 50 Minutes Late! Scott was watching Skylar and he had to cancel a meeting because of this...not good.
The office tried to charge me $250 for a teeth cleaning (I don't have dental insurance)!! When I told them that I don't need xrays, and exam, or any of the "frills" because I was just here 4 months ago and that I am simply here for Preventative Routine Maintenance: Getting My Teeth Cleaned.After many up and backs and talks with the manager, they agreed to a $95 cash fee. Gee, thanks.
Then, while I was in the chair, the hygientist was painfully slow after already running 50 minutes late and she told me all about her personal life. From her sister with brain cancer to her recent home foreclosure to her 401k being wiped out to how "most people nowadays die with their teeth in tact but it wasn't always like that."Ummmm, yeah.
The ironic part of all of this is that I have never had a cavity, I have no gum disease, my teeth are straight and as healthy as teeth can be, there are no problems, but I go every 4 months to keep things this way! This dental office really seemed unable to wrap their mind around the concept of preventative care, but hey, I won't be going back 4 months from now, that's for sure!
So after that I went to the grocery store for a quick restocking before the weekend. Among other things, I scored more 99 cents a bundle kale . And Strawberries were on sale for $2 bucks for 2 pints! From yesterday's post, I wanted to Say Thanks to Everyone for Congratulating me on becoming an Official 500 Hour Yoga Teacherregistered with Yoga Alliance.As I mentioned yesterday, this has been a decade in the making and I am really thrilled about my new credentials.
Doesn't really "change anything" in the practical sense, but it's nice to have and know I did it and accomplished it!
Whew! Was hoping I wouldn't get any nastygrams over those pics !
Just as a follow up, since lots of you asked my opinion on what size you thought this bra would work for? I'd say anything larger than a Full C/Small D Cup and this isnot the bra for you. But my opinion only, of course. I don't work for Victoria's Secret or anything.
Also, many of you asked where I normally buy sports bras? I'm with Madeline(who even works for a fancy sporting goods company) and she agrees, but I like Target's sports bras. In the past few years, I feel like they have really upped their workout clothing quality and selection and I think for $16.99 or thereabouts, although that's not "cheap", it's a lot cheaper than a $45 Nike sports bra and I prefer the Target ones. They work for me, so that's what I get. But not every brand and style works on every person's shape. Just keep trying til you find something that works for you.
And I loved hearing about your goals! I shared some of my goals, what's on my agenda, and loved hearing what's on yours. I wish everyone all the success in the world while you're working towards the big things and goalsand the smaller things, too, of course!
After I got back from the Dental Fiasco and the grocery store, I cracked open some Protein Pretzelsfrom Newman's Own Organics that I reviewed in This Post
Choose from more than 90 types of fruits, nuts, herbs, and candies to create your personalized chocolate bars. Our Belgian Chocolate bars are handmade to order with only the finest ingredients!
When they contacted me and asked me to create a few bars,I happy obliged!
All the bars I chose have a dark chocolate (vegan) base and to that I added....
1. Dried Strawberries & Blueberries
2. Mango & Pineapple Dices
3. Butterscotch Toffee, Peanut Butter Drops, and Caramel Pieces (probably not vegan and Scott will love this one!)
4. Dark Chocolate with Marshmallows, Oreo Pieces, Caramel Pieces, and Dark Chocolate Chips! (again, probably not vegan but won't go to waste in this chocoholic-household!)
Thanks so much Chocomize and My Readers Are In For a Treat so Stand By for Tomorrow's Post!!!
Yoga Today is Camel (Ustrasana).Open your heart chakra, let the love in.And give extra special thanks & gratitude to the Universe this week for all the lovely blessings you DO HAVE in your life today!Even if life isn't perfect, there's always something to be grateful for. What are you grateful for today?
Gym & Weights Workout Today: Nothing formal other than doing 3 sets x 15 reps of Lunges (pulse/front lunges) and 3 sets x 15 reps Side Lunges. Working on those glutes and thighs!
Tip of the Day: Now that it's getting warmer out, you may have some picnics or outdoor activities or summer airplane travel and trips planned, and if you're curious how to honor your raw vegan lifestyle while participating in outdoor festivities or traveling, I thought this was a nice checklist : Raw Foods Travel Bag and Picnic Supplies:
Questions 1. What's on your agenda for the weekend? My plans include working out at the gym, yoga, time with the family, and some time poolsideworking on my tan and magazine reading!
I loved every second of magazine reading on my chaise lounge!
I Dug into Theseand plan to do more of the same this weekend. Less Blogging & Computer Time, more leisure time! I am loving "Hers"! Seems pretty hardcore with more substance and less "fluffy" goofy columns and articles than some of the other magazines. I mean, if Flat Abs were only 10 days away, wouldn't we all have them already and that same replayed column in every magazine, every month, could end!?
2. For those of you who use Protein Powders or who have a high(ish) protein diet, does all that protein bother your stomach? As I said earlier this week, my body does not "crave" protein and I do believe that plant-based sources are almost always enough, but given my new fitness competitions path, I am trying to increase my protein through extra Sun Warrior. However, my GI tract does not seem to love it and I do get some tummy upset and cramping. Years ago I tried whey protein before I knew how dairy intolerant I truly am and I was vegetarian not vegan....not good, lived in bathroom. I am also intolerant to soy in any kind of real quantity, and so maybe I need to try pea, hemp (which the few I've tried taste like dirt to me). Katie told me to increase it my 1 scoop/1 shake per week and built up a tolerance gradually. April told me to eat it with fats, and of course, with plenty of water. So I will try those things, but Does "engineered" protein in the form of protein powders bother you? Tips please! How does protein or protein powders effect you?
3. Do You Have any Doctor's Office, Dental, Medical, or even Hair or Nails or Massage, Nightmare Stories? Any Medical Calamities or Horror Stories? What's the Worst thing That's Ever Happened to you when paying for services on an appointment? Things like this morning's dental visit, paying for hair highlights in my early 20s and the girl leaving the foils with bleach on too long and frying my hair off. Chemical haircut in all the places I was supposed to have "highlights". Thank goodness hair grows back! I've also been hit on while getting a massageby the female masseuse. What are your Nightmare Service Experiences? We all have them where something in your appointment went very wrong!