When I was in Switzerland a few weeks ago, this was served at one of the restaurants where we ate breakfast one morning. It’s a national specialty there, and the best part about it is that it is infinitely adaptable.
It also makes a great transitional breakfast for the seasons. Hearty and filling, it’s best served cold, which is great as the days get just a little bit warmer and warmer. Consider it spring’s answer to oatmeal.
Bircher muesli is traditionally made with yogurt or cream, so in order to veganize the most traditional, original recipe, I subbed coconut cream. It was the perfect decision! The hint of coconut mixed with lemon, apple, and cinnamon makes an unexpectedly wonderful flavor combo. Since I first made this recipe a few weeks ago, it has become my go-to breakfast…. until I’m back home with my blender, that is.
Be sure to think ahead- you’ll have to assemble this the night before. But it means an extra 10 minutes sleep the next morning!
#ratingval# from #reviews# reviews
- 2 heaping tbsp coconut cream (scooped from the top of a can of coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup raw oats
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1/3 cup almond milk (or more as needed)
- 1 apple
- 1 tbsp chopped walnuts
- (agave or other sweetener to taste)
- In a medium bowl or container, mix the coconut cream, lemon juice, raisins, cinnamon, and almond milk until combined. Cover and put in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning, grate the apple (with the skin still on) over the bowl so it captures any juice as well. Stir in the walnuts and sweetener of choice to taste. Depending on desired consistency, add more almond milk as needed.
- Share this: