Hey, Y’all. Thanks for the belly compliments yesterday…it’s growing rapidly these days
The question I have been getting asked most often by people is “what are your cravings?” People expect to hear things like pickles, chocolate, peanut butter, even burgers (that is the MOST popular question I get–”are you craving meat?”)
Well, I am one of those really weird pregnant women that had a few bouts of cravings early on…but now am honestly craving really healthy food! No lie! I am way boring I know…trust me, it’s disappointing to me too, lol
The one thing I have been craving the most…is…..get this…..BEET juice!!?? So weird, being that I really never cared for beets that much before.
Ever since my brother let me lease his unused juicer (since mine has been retired)–I have been drinking different beet juice combos, most days of the week.
Beets, celery, carrots, ginger, apple is my fav combo
I was curious as to why I may be craving BEETS, of all things, so much. I know they are super healthy, high vitamins and minerals, especially Vitamin A and B Vitamins.
You probably have heard me say many times how your body is smart, and it wants you to survive, thrive, and be healthy. How cravings have a lot to do with things your body needs, or is lacking. I was reading up a little more on beets and found that it is a food that is HIGHLY recommended for pregnant women! “You Go Laury’s bod!” You lil’ smarty pants
Don’t toss out the stems!! Especially if you are pregnant! They are LOADED with nutrients, especially the MUCH needed nutrients during pregnancy–folic acid & iron! They also contain beta-carotene, chlorophyll, potassium & vitamin C.
I always add the stems and the leaves into the juicer–waste not
THE POWER OF BEETS:
Red Beet is unique for its high levels of anti-carcinogens and its very high carotenoid content. It is loaded with antioxidant that helps the body against heart disease, certain cancer especially colon cancer and even birth defects. Betacyanin is the pigment that gives beets their red color; this pigment is absorbed into the blood corpuscles and can increase the oxygen-carrying ability of the blood by up to 400 per cent (another plus during pregnancy!) Beets are also a powerful cleanser and do a great job to detoxify the body!
According to this source , beets are loaded with these additional health benefits:
* The fiber in red beets help reduced serum cholesterol by 30 to 40%.
* Beets can help in normalizing blood pressure.
* Beets helps to keep the elasticity of arteries, when consumed regularly it can help prevent varicose veins.
* The iron content of red beets, though not high but is of the finest quality that makes it a powerful cleanser and builder of blood. This is the reason why beets is very effective in treating many ailments caused by toxic environment and surrounding.
* Beet root is recommended for pregnant women because it contain folic acid that can help lower the risk of spina bifida and other neural tube defects in newborn infants.
* Beet juice helps stimulate the function of liver cells and protect the liver and bile ducts.
* Beet juice is highly alkaline which makes it effective in the treatment of acidosis.
* Drinking beets regularly can help relieve constipation.
* Beet juice and carrot juice when combined is excellent in the healing gout, kidney and gall bladder problem–I ALWAYS combine these two
.* Red beets can also help in the following problems; Headaches, toothaches, dysentery, lumbago, skin problems, menstrual problems, etc.
* Beet root is a traditional treatment used for leukemia. Beet root contain an amino acid betaine which has an anti cancer properties. Red beet therapy, consisting of consumption of approximately two pounds of raw, mashed beets daily, has been favorably reported for cases of leukemia and tumors (includes cancer). Research also shows that beet juice can help inhibit the development of colon and stomach cancer.
* It is believed that red beets when used eaten regularly may help against certain oxidative stress-related disorders.
So, is my body craving beets….or is it craving all the health benefits!!?——————————Now, onto a more serious matter.
15 minute of fame.
To those loyal readers who have been with me for a while (I love you)…do you remember back in August when I posted about my sister starring in an episode of a new show on MTV ?
Well, it finally aired:
I was not going to “remind you”–or let all the new readers know (I love you guys too ) until I “screened” the episode myself. You never know how they are going to portray your family on tv….we were all very nervous.
…actually, my sister had a hit out on anyone that announced the premier….she was so nervous about how she was going to look, etc…but the real stars of the show were the boys and my parents, which made my shy sister very happy.
Good news is, if you are interested… you can watch it online . Last time I checked CARLY’S episode WAS NOT UP yet. I will let you guys know as soon as it’s available on the site
The episode should be called “Bondra” or “Carly.”
You may also be able to find it on Hulu.com the show is called “Moving In” and the episode should be called one of the above.
It was a pretty funny episode (especially for me). Chris (in the purple) has been friends with my sister since kindergarten, he was actually at my wedding, getting down on the dance floor with my mother in law. We have videos… MTV did a really great job of “highlighting” his personality traits…before they exaggerated them–that’s all I have to say. The other boy, Mark I don’t know too well, he is a more recent friend of my sisters, really nice guy though.
Carly’s boyfriend was “backstage” during the taping with Michael, myself and my brothers.
–Hint, hint about the “reality” of reality TV.
I got my cameo….if you look really close at the end, there’s a few childhood photos of my on the wall when my sister is being interviewed on the hallway steps, lol
Have you ever gotten your “15 minutes of fame?”
If you are pregnant, or have been pregnant….what were your biggest cravings during pregnancy?
Non-preggos…do you ever have overwhelming cravings for things…if so for what?
Enjoy your day!