In the summer time, we can wear less clothing, move more, and eat lighter. The season of summer is very conducive to eating lots of fruits and veggies and less starchy and processed foods. Certain foods such as salt, meat, and dairy cause the body to contract. Stress also causes a contraction or tightening. When the body is too tight, it can’t function properly (circulation slows down, elimination of waste comes to a standstill). Foods like sugar, caffeine, and alcohol cause the body to expand in the bodys attempt to regain balance. Illness occurs when our bodies are too acidic and restoring our acid/alkaline balance is essential.
Here are some tips in how to move your body into a more balanced way of eating.
Eat til you are 80% full, leaving 20% available for digesting.
80% of the food on your plate should be land and/or ocean vegetables
The remaining 20% can be protein or grains and starchy veggies.
20%- Softly scrambled eggs ( 2 whites, 1 yolk)
80% with sauteed kale and onions and vegetables
4 oz young coconut kefir
If you find your energy is low, you are prone to fungal infections, you often get sick, and you react to stress very easily you might be suffering from a candida overgrowth.
Candida overgrowth is a vicous cycle and our diets are full of sugars that feed yeast. Additionally, there are many antiobiotics in our food supply and prescribed by doctors that kill our healthy bacteria and lower our immune systems. Try the following foods to increase your body’s alkaline baseand rid yourself of candida.
Land Vegetables (pumpkin, cucumber, lettuce, fennel, spinach, etc.)
Limit fruit to lemons, limes, berries, unsweetened juices, and EAT on an Empty Stomach
Milk kefir (If not allergic or sensitive to dairy)
Soaked and sprouted almonds
Animal foods such as beef, poultry, eggs, and fish
For a few weeks see if you can limit your consumption of sugar, nuts and nut butters, alcohol, beans and soybean products, flour products, carbonated beverages (Source- The Body Ecology Diet- Donna Gates)
While traveling in Bali this summer, I was able to sample some amazing and healthy and alkalinizing meals that I am happy to share with you.
3 Eggs (Poached)
Sliced Cucumber and Tomato
1/4 cup roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
Shaved coconut ( 2 tblsp)
Fresh Papyay (3-4 slices)
Gado Gado Recipe (Lunch or Dinner)
Try this outstanding vegetarian Indonesian dish made with authentic spices, eggs and vegetables. Gado- Gado means mix-mix.
long green beans, cut into 4-5 cm long
Chinese cabbage, shredded
Boiled/steamed potatoes, sliced
Boiled eggs, wedged
Fried/baked tempe or tofu
Lontong (rice cake with log shape), cut into 1 cm thick
Ready-to-use fried shallot
10 cloves garlic, stir fried/fried/roasted
300 g roasted/fried peanuts (In this case, I used 1 cup of organic crunchy peanut butter)
1000 ml light coconut milk
10 red chilies, discard the seed and stir fried/fried
1 tsp terasi (dried shrimp paste), toasted
1 block of coconut sugar (about 62.5 grams)
2-3 tbsp rice flour dissolve in a small amount of water
20 red bird eyes chilies, boiled /steamed
1/2 tsp sugar
Sea salt as desired
Gado-Gado Sauce Preparation:
1. Process garlic, peanuts/peanut butter, a half part of coconut milk, red chilies, terasi, coconut sugar in a food processor or blender.
2. In a sauce pot, combine processed mixture with the rest of coconut milk, stir and turn on the stove at low-medium heat. Stir occasionally.
3. Cook sauce until boiled, the volume reduced and the sauce surface looks a bit oily. Add rice flour mixture. Keep stirring until bubbling about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Combine all ingredients and process in a food processor/blender or you can grind them with mortar and pestle.
Place lettuce, slices of lontong and boiled potatoes, blanched vegetables, wedges of boiled egg, slices of fried tempe and/or tofu, and wedges of tomato, slices of cucumber. Pour the warm sauce over, garnish with fried shallot. Put sambal on the side as people has different tastebuds to handle the spiciness. You can omit the sambal if you don’t like the spicy sauce.
If the sauce is to thick, add a small amount of water.
- Always try the sauce before removing from the heat, so you can add salt or coconut sugar to match your tastebuds.
- Serve gado-gado sauce while it is still warm. Warm up the sauce if it is cold.
- If you still have leftover sauce, keep it in a jar and refrigerate/freeze. You may use for other dipping purposes.