Baking for the family….Apple, date and walnut loaf
Posted Mar 22 2012 5:54am
My parents and brother are currently visiting us in the UK and I thought it would be a nice idea to bake them a cake. Mum was particularly interested as she wanted to see how I was using different ingredients to make healthier recipes. This apple, date and walnut cake went down a hit, even with my picky teenage brother who is very hard to please.
Apple, date and walnut loaf
1/2 cup polenta
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup brown rice flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup stevia
1/4 cup xylitol
1/2 cup softened coconut oil
3 egg whites or 2 whole eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened rice milk
1/2 cup chopped dates
2 apples, I grated and the other cut in half and thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat an oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Place dry ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.
3. Add milk, eggs and coconut oil and mix until there are no lumps.
4. Stir in the chopped walnuts, dates and grated apple.
5. Place mixture into a non stick cake loaf tin and top with sliced apple.
6. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until loaf is golden brown and a skewer can be removed without any mixture.
This recipe is dairy, sugar and wheat free. For a gluten free recipe, use gluten free baking powder. Also, if you wish for a more cake like consistency, add an additional 1/4 cup of milk to the batter.