Avocados are my absolute favourite veggie and they’re amazing at this time of year. They go so well with pretty much everything, on toast, in a salad, with seafood or used to add texture to a smoothie.
- Good source of fibre and Vitamin C
- Great for pregnant women as they add a lot of Folate to the diet, helping reduce the risk of neural tube defects in the baby
- Plenty of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds. While these help the healthy fats in avocados from going rancid they have the benefit of doing wonders for your skin too
- Terrific fats – in an avocado the majority of fat is the healthy kind: 60% monounsaturated fat and 12% polyunsaturated fat. Half an avocado contains 18g of the beneficial monounsaturated fat
If you have trouble getting your hands on good quality avocados Barham Avocados in NSW will deliver them to your door in one off packs of 6 or 12 or you can buy a subscription and have them delivered regularly. Subscriptions will run for the entire 8 month season from August until March but you can cancel at any time. Barham Avocados is a family run farm with a great philosophy of sustainable production and community involvement.
My lovely friend Mel introduced me to a new really quick and easy way to have them just last week and I thought I’d share.
Avocado & Fetta Dip
1 x Avocado, pitted and mashed
1 x wedge of Fetta
a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
- Mash all these up together and you’ve got yourself one fresh, healthy and really flavourful dip.
If you decide to have a crack at this yummy dish please be sure to let me know what you thought in the comments below. Otherwise take a pic of your creation on Instagram (you can follow me here ) and add the hashtag #littlenourish to share it with all of us.