Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

A Cherry Tart

Posted Jul 24 2011 1:15pm

This morning I got up early, though not as early as I would have liked, to do my long run. When I went outside at 6:45am I was struck in the face by the hot, humid air. I knew this would be a difficult run, but I made it 6 miles, plus another mile of walking. I stopped at the restroom twice to refill my water bottle and splash water on my face – that really helps. Average pace was 12:03 – faster than I usually do my long runs when I run with the group. Pretty good considering the weather.

I ate two Sport Beans after each mile (they motivate me to keep going!) and one Gu at 3.5 miles. Before the run I had a banana with peanut butter, and when I got home I chugged a glass of chocolate soy milk. It tasted delicious.

For breakfast I made some Mango Buckwheat Pancakes .

Then I thought I would make a Cherry Tart , because I got Whole Food’s recent newsletter and there was a recipe for it, and I happened to have a bunch of cherries in the refrigerator.

Lots of butter in this tart:

Two kinds of flour, whole wheat and all purpose, and a little powdered sugar and cinnamon.

Add the butter to the flour:

Then gradually add ice water:

until it comes together:

Form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.

Then spend 20 minutes pitting cherries! I did wear an apron this time.

Mix the cherries with powdered sugar, cornstarch and orange juice.

Until it all dissolves:

Flour a board. This was my grandmother’s board, she used it all the time. It has a lip to keep it on the counter without shifting.

Roll the dough into a circle and transfer it to a baking sheet by wrapping it around the rolling pin:

Pile the cherries in the middle:

Then fold the dough around them:

I was nervous about this. I didn’t want the dough to pop open in the oven, so I tried to pinch it as gently as possible. Then I decided it needed an egg wash, that would give the dough a nice sheen and help to “glue” it together.

Put it in the oven for 45 minutes.

I kept checking it to make sure the dough wasn’t unpleating, and for the last 15 minutes I covered it with foil. It came out beautiful!



Tonight I am going to a wedding, there will probably be lots of good food. I’m glad I burned that 700 calories this morning!

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches