Having a cold can be a real pain. A stuffy nose, sore throat, watery eyes, and lack of energy can make it hard for you to go about with your busy life when you are sick. Although there is no quick fix to get rid of the common cold instantly there are things that you can do to speed up the healing process. Here are five tips to recovery quickly from a cold.
1. Let your body heal. The best thing you can do when you have a cold is get lots of rest. It can be hard to make yourself take it easy, especially around the busy holiday season but your body will heal much faster if you do. Aim for about 8-9 hours of sleep and try to get a lot of down time as well.
2. Drink lots of fluids. Flushing your body out is a great way to get rid of a cold. Drink lots of water, herbal tea, and hot water with lemon in it. Your body will flush out the toxins and the sickness quicker. Make sure to avoid sugary drinks like juice or pop because this can actually hinder the healing process.
3. Eat properly. It is important to eat lots of nutritious food when you are sick. Home made vegetable soups with low sodium are great for you and they are also easy to prepare. Try to stick to a very simple and easy to digest diet such as smoothies, soups, yogurt, and steamed vegetables.
4. Take Echinacea. Echinacea is great at both preventing colds and helping your body heal when you are sick because it gives your immune system a boost. Zinc tablets and garlic supplements are also effective.
5. Lots of Vitamin C. Vitamin C taken in high doses will no doubt have you feeling better in no time. The best way to quickly combat a cold is to boost your immune system so that your body can fight the infection. Powdered vitamin C is available at health stores and is very easy to add to juices or smoothies.
Although having a cold is annoying, it’s not the end of the world. With a little patience, some rest and healthy eating habits you will start feeling better in no time.