It was Meatless Monday yesterday and I was being adventurous in the kitchen. I took whatever I had on hand and ended up with this delicious homemade pizza, so I thought I'd post this recipe. We usually have at least a few meatless days each week, but I like the idea of Meatless Monday for those who are just dipping there toes into the meatless waters.
Most people wouldn't think to add mixed beans to a pizza, but it added more substance, and the herbs in the crust really make this dough something special. Between the beans and the whole wheat flour, it's a very filling pizza as well.
1 cup white flour
1cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup Tomato sauce (I used basil-flavoured)
1/2 - 1 cup Shredded Cheese (I used extra old cheddar)
1 tomato, sliced
2 green onion, sliced
1/4 cup Mixed beans
2 cloves garlic, minced
Red pepper flakes, to taste
1) Heat oven to 425°F.
2) Measure ingredients into a bowl (except olive oil and pepper flakes).
3) Stir together until it doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl.
4) Gather dough together and press into a ball.
5) Knead dough 10 times to make smooth then divide dough in half.
6) On lightly floured surface roll each half into a 13-inch circle.
7) Place on pizza pan.
8) Turn up edges 1/2 inch and pinch.
9) Brush with remaining 2T olive oil.
10) Add toppings and bake for 20-25 minutes or until it looks cooked.