KT is often a guinea pig for my culinary experimentation. She is ridiculously patient, never balking at my "Hey! Come taste this!" (But to be fair, if I know she'll hate it, I don't make her taste it...)
Still, she puts up with me and is one of my favorite food critics. So I know enchiladas are one of her absolute Mexican dining out favs, and I've heard her mention at one such dinner that she loved the spinach ones, as well as the mushroom, nearly as much as the meat. Hmm...Binty's wheels start turning and the ole culinary engine gets-a-crankin'.
What's up my sleeve? Why super-easy, super-fast, do-it-yourself enchiladas! To top it off, they are pretty healthy!
Note -- the recipe makes spinach and mushroom enchiladas. That's two types of enchiladas...not spinach-and-mushroom enchiladas together.
Spinach and/or Mushroom Enchiladas (GFCF*)
1 small can sliced mushrooms
1 large can spinach
6 corn tortillas (I love Tam-X-ico's brand)
2 tbsp green chiles
1 small can tomato sauce
1/3 cup mild taco sauce
1 tbsp dried chives
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp taco seasoning blend
1 tbsp dried green onions
1/2 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese*
1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly PAM a glass brownie pan (or similar size pan).
2. In a small bowl, combine mushrooms, 1 tbsp green chiles, 1 tbsp tomato sauce, 1/2 tbsp dried chives, 1 tsp chili powder, and 1 tsp taco seasoning. Mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, combine spinach, 1 tbsp green chiles, 1 tbsp tomato sauce, 1/2 tbsp dried chives, 1 tsp chili powder, and 1 tsp taco seasoning. Mix well.
4. Microwave corn tortillas until soft (just pliable enough to roll without cracking or tearing).
5. Place a small amount of one type of filling in tortilla, roll up, place in pan, and top with a tablespoon of tomato sauce. Repeat with each filling type, until all tortillas are filled.
6. Cover all enchiladas evenly with the taco sauce and sprinkle with the green onions.
7. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. Replace pan in oven and bake until the cheese is melted (about 5 minutes).
Enjoy! FYI -- For KT, this made two meals. She had it with apple slices and extra cheese.
*GFCF Diet Note -- this recipe as it stands is not CF. I would substitute a non-dairy cheese or omit the cheese altogether for myself.