It's never too late to get started on boosting your brain-building nutrients and mental reserves for a lifetime of better health and mental wellbeing. The May 2007 issue of the IDEA Fitness Journal suggests the following 10 tips for staying mentally sharp:
1) Eat regularly - avoid skipping meals and alllowing your blood sugar levels to plummet
2) Eat a colorful plateful - strive for color and variety in eating fruits and vegetables with every meal
3) Maintain a healthy weight - be calorie conscious and pay attention to portion sizes
4) Go Fishing - eat foods high in omega 3 fatty acids (i.e. fatty fish like salmon)
5) Rely on Vitamins - Take a daily multivitamin that has at least 100% of the RDA for vitamins B6, B12, and folid acid
6) Get Heart Smart - Stick to a heart healthy diet that includes less than 300 milligrams of choesterol per day and less than or equal to 10% saturated fat per day and NO trans fats
7) Stay active - Exercise can energize the body and may prevent depression and help sharpen cognitive function. Shoot for 30 minutes on most days of the week
8) Do Mental Gymnastics - Challenge your brain with puzzles, learning new skills, doing brain teasers, etc.
9) Be Smoke Free - Smoking can create harmful free radicals, damage blood vessels, and reduce circulation to the brain
10) Limit Alcohol Intake - Limit alcohol intake to no more than 2 drinks per day for men andno more than 1 drink per day for women.