Need some ideas for new foods to toss into the daily lunchbox? Try these suggestions, from Arthur Agatston, MD, author of The South Beach Heart Program - he's full of tips on the best kinds of "superfoods" to keep you healthy and strong.
1) Apples: According to researchers, eating an apple a day can very well keep the doctor away, because apples slow the oxidation of LDL cholesterol and help to prevent arterial plaque buildup.
2) Fatty fish: Why? It's all in the omega-3s, baby. Omega-3 acids are known to lower triglyceride levels and be great for the heart, skin, and just about every other organ there is.
3) Grapefruit: This sour treat is packed with fiber and antioxidants, which both help reduce the risk of heart disease.
4) Nuts and seeds: Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, sesame seeds, you name it! They're high in plant sterols, which help lower LDL cholesterol.
5) Red wine: Its antioxidants protect the coronary arteries from damage from free radicals.