Special Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
recipe adapted from Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet
(This recipe is semi-vegan because I used Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips which contain milk-fat. To make them 100% Vegan just use vegan chocolate chips.)
1/2 cup Earth Balance butter
3/4 cup crunchy almond butter (preferably unsweetened and unsalted)
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs or 10 graham cracker squares
1/4 cup maple sugar or other granulated sweetener
1 cup Special Dark Chocolate Chips or (grain-sweetened, nondairy chocolate or carob chips)
1/4 cup soy, rice, or nut milk
1/4 cup chopped pecans, almonds, or peanuts
1. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. ( If You Care makes unbleached liners made from recycled paper.) Set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
3. Stir in the almond butter, graham cracker crumbs, and maple sugar and mix well.
4. Remove the mixture from the heat. Evenly divide the mixture, approximately 2 tablespoons per cup, among the muffin cups.
5. Combine the chocolate and milk in another pan. Stir over medium heat until the chocolate has melted.
6. Spoon the chocolate evenly over the almond butter mixture.
7. Top with chopped almonds.
8. Place in the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hours before serving.
As a side note, my husband became obsessed with these chocolate chips while visiting my sister in Des Moines and I have not been able to find these in Portland so I ordered a 6 pack from Amazon! I like to eat these little morsels for dessert. I take 1 tbsp of Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Chips with 1 tbsp of Sunspire Peanut Butter Chips and eat them VERY slowly. This scratches my itch for something naughty without over doing it. So good!
These chips blend cocoa butter with dutch-processed cocoa to create a deep, dark and rich flavor profile.
Now that the kiddos are back to school, I am getting busy with a bunch of really cool projects! I was almost paralyzed by where to start yesterday, thus, the need to whip up a batch of sinful Special Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups.
I am much better today. The kids had a great first day at school and Ms. Zoe survived her double soccer practices. She is playing in two leagues and the practices are back to back, so she literally plays soccer for 2 1/2 hours. The good thing is that she is young and loves the sport and came home happy as a clam. Yay!
Okay-- so back to my "to-do" list. I wrote out all the things I wanted to accomplish and then cut it down into baby steps that I can do everyday to get these projects done. Onward and upward!
Another benefit of having the kids back at school is that I am able to workout without guilt. I have been running the last two days and it feels so great to be back in the saddle again.
So with that I am off to work on my project. Time-managment is kicking in!
Have a fantastic Thursday Everyone!