My grandmother was known for her sausage dressing at Thanksgiving (or stuffing according to what part of the country you’re from!).
This tastes so much like it but with a tweak of cranberries and apples that we love. It gives it a sweet and savory taste that works great with turkey or chicken meals. If you’re not a meat fan just leave out the sausage and the recipe still works great.
- 1/3 cup cranberries (you can substitute dried, no sugar)
- 1/2 tsp stevia
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, chopped fine
- 6 cups Nutty Sandwich Bread , crumbled or apx. 1/2 loaf
- 3/4 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp stevia
- 3 organic eggs
- 1 cup chicken broth (or use vegetable broth for vegetarian) See tip for homemade broth
- Optional 1/2 cup Beef Sausage
Cook cranberries and 1/2 tsp stevia in water on medium high until water is evaporated. Set aside.
Melt butter in pan and sauté onions, celery and apples until tender.
Combine cranberries and onion mixture to remaining ingredients.
Spread into 9 x 13 glass bake pan. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
This recipe can be easily doubled for thicker dressing or to be used to stuff chicken or turkey.