1 acorn squash, halved and seeded Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste Poultry seasoning, to taste 1 Tbsp Earth Balance or butter, melted 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup ½ tsp fresh rosemary 1 Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage, diced (I used Al Fresco) 1 onion, finely diced ¼ cup quinoa ¼ cup chicken broth plus 2 Tbsp 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley 6 walnut halves, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Prepare a baking sheet with foil and cooking spray. Place the squash, cut side up.
3. Mix the earth balance and maple syrup. Brush over cut sides. Sprinkle with kosher salt and rosemary. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
4. Meanwhile spray a small pot with cooking spray and heat over medium high heat. (I know sautéing in a pot will sound weird but this will save an extra pan to clean!) Add the onion, season with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning and sauté until tender. Add the chicken sausage and cook until fully browned. Set both aside.
5. To this same pot add the chicken broth and scrape the brown bits from the bottom and add the quinoa. Add some poultry seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 12 minutes.
6. Mix the sausage, onion, parsley and quinoa together and divide the mixture between the two squash halves. Top with walnuts.