Chicken With Mango Barbecue Sauce
Recipe from Ellie Krieger.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
1 red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ teaspoon ground allspice
1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
3 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
¼ cup low-sodium tomato sauce
1 mango, diced (about 1½ cups)
2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, minced (for a less intense version, discard seeds first)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about ¾ pound each)
1. In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper, garlic, salt, black pepper and allspice, then cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes more.
2. Stir in the vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice and tomato sauce and cook for another minute. Transfer the mixture into a blender and add the mango and jalapenos. Blend until smooth. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.)
3. Let the sauce cool several minutes, then transfer 1 cup of it to a zip-close plastic bag. Add the chicken and let marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
4. Preheat the broiler. Put the chicken on a broiler pan and discard the marinade in the bag. Broil the chicken on high for about 12 minutes, turning once.
5. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and let the meat rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Spoon about ½ cup of barbecue sauce over the chicken slices and serve. (Use the 1½ cups leftover sauce as a dip for chicken nuggets or other food, if desired).
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition information per serving: 250 calories, 8 g total fat (1 g saturated), 15 g protein, 31 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 720 mg sodium.
(I found this on www.journalnow.com)