I found this Lemon-Cranberry Scone recipe and tweaked it with my kids in mind. I found a bag of cranberries from Thanksgiving. (Seriously, they were still good!) I dug out some lemons shared from a neighbor's tree. Meilani and I got out a small flower cookie cutter and had fun making something simple look sweet and fancy. The babies devoured them. (Ok, they licked the lemon whipped cream off and asked for more.) We all were surprised at the beauty in simple ingredients - butter, organic sugar, whole wheat flour, meyer lemons.
Cranberry-Lemon Scones with Lemon Whipped Cream
-2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest (from about 3 lemons; preferably Meyer)
-2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
-1/3 cup organic raw sugar plus 3 tablespoons additional if using fresh cranberries
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon sea salt
-1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
-1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped coarse
-1 large egg
-1 large egg yolk
-1 tablespoon lemon juice
-1 cup organic heavy whipping cream
-1 tablespoon honey or agave syrup
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Chop cranberries and zest lemons. Reserve zested lemon for juice later.
3. In a large bowl add flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add eggs and lemon juice.
5. Use a pastry blender or fork to mix until dough comes together. Gather in a ball.
6. Dust a cutting board with flour. Press the ball into a 9" round. Use a small cookie cutter or glass to cut out mini scones.
7. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.
8. Bake approximately 15 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
9. Meanwhile, beat cream, adding agave syrup and lemon juice. When soft peaks form, stop beating.
10. Remove scones from oven. Cool on a plate and serve with a small bowl of the lemon cream for dipping.