Its day 5 of our healing whole foods detox cleanse! I’m so excited to share our detox cleanse with all of you and I hope that doing it will help you start on the path to vibrant health and wellness! Kale Avocado Soup is a day 5 recipe that you will eat for both your lunch and dinner meal. This creamy vegan soup combines two of my favorite foods, kale and avocado into a delectable soup designed to cleanse, nourish, and rebuild your body.
I made the cleanse simple for you to implement by having you enjoy the same soup for both lunch and dinner. If you want more variety, you can try some of the other soups which I have on this site. This easy recipe comes together quickly and combines a variety of healing foods that are fantastic for detoxing. Lacinato aka dinosaur kale, avocado, white onion, lemon, celery, and vegetable broth come together for a rich and tasty soup that is deeply satisfying and cleansing.
Kale is a phenomenal alkaline-rich leafy green to include in your diet for energy, strength, and immunity. Kale is a Brassica vegetable and a member of the cruciferous family of vegetables and it contains a tremendous amount of phytochemicals that promote detoxification and healing. Many of these phytochemicals also have anti-cancer properties. Kale is a fantastic source of chlorophyll, carotenoids, and flavonoids. The top carotenoids and flavonoids are beta-carotene, quercetin, lutein, zeaxanthin, and kaempferol. These important antioxidants protect our body from environmental toxins and degenerative diseases like cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. Antioxidants also reduce inflammation and protect our cells from free radical damage. The kale I picked for this recipe is dinosaur kale. Dinosaur Kale aka Lacinato or Tuscan has dark green to almost black patterned leaves with a sweeter more delicate flavor than curly kale.
Avocados are one of my favorite fruits because of their succulent taste and impressive health benefits! Avocados add a luscious creaminess to this soup that really makes all the difference in the taste. Avocados contain an amazing amount of carotenoids including beta-carotene, lutein, alpha-carotene, and zeaxanthin that function as important antioxidants to fight inflammation, strengthen your immune system, and protect your body against free radical damage.
Avocados are an excellent source of healthy fats including monounsaturated fat and alpha-linolenic acid an omega-3 fatty acid. Avocados are nutrient-rich with high levels of vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, potassium, folate, and fiber.
Lemon is alkaline fruit which combines beautifully with leafy greens and enhances their earthy flavor. Lemons are a powerful detoxifier that is high in antioxidants, vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, and calcium that all work together to neutralize free radicals, support the liver, remove inflammation, and fight diseases like cancer. Lemons are also an aid to relieve constipation and are a great fruit to include in any detox cleanse.
Celery is a wonderful addition to this creamy vegetable soup. Celery is an antioxidant-rich vegetable with a mild flavor and potent anti-inflammatory properties. Celery contains vitamin A, vitamin K, potassium, folate, and fiber which help heal and rejuvenate the body.
What’s your favorite soup blend? Are you doing this detox cleanse? Please contribute to the conversation by leaving a comment below.
Share this detox cleanse with family and friends and let’s all get healthy and radiant together!
Join our holistic community by signing up for our email updates, like us on Facebook , follow us on Twitter , and pin with us on Pinterest to get all the latest healthy recipes, health tips, event notifications, and information on increasing your energy, strength, and immunity with healing whole foods and holistic lifestyle solutions.
Kale Avocado Soup
Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free
Makes 2 servings
1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
1 small white onion-finely chopped
1 large organic celery stalk-finely chopped
Unrefined sea salt-to taste
3 minced garlic cloves
1 large bunch organic lacinato kale
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
4 cups organic vegetable broth or stock
1 large Hass avocado
Fresh ground black pepper-to taste
1. Remove stems from kale leaves and tear into smaller pieces. Place the kale leaves in a colander or salad spinner and wash well. Drain kale and set aside.
2. Heat coconut oil over medium-heat in a pot with a lid. Add chopped onions and celery and sprinkle with sea salt. Cook for around 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender. Add minced garlic and kale leaves during the last two minutes of cooking.
3. Pour vegetable broth on top of vegetables and add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Stir to combine and turn heat down to medium-low. Cook vegetables until kale is tender around 15-20 minutes.
4. Once kale is tender, cut avocado in half and place one avocado half in high-speed blender along with the soup and the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
5. Place top on blender and cover with a towel or pot holder to hold top down firmly while blending to prevent it from popping off of the blender. Blend soup until smooth and creamy. You can also use an immersion blender and blend soup right in the pot. Taste and add more sea salt and black pepper if needed.
6. Pour soup into a serving bowl and top with remaining avocado half cut into chunks. Place leftover soup into a heatproof container with a lid and cool slightly before placing in the refrigerator. Reheat remaining soup over low heat for dinner meal.