Have you become complacent with your health? Are you expecting others to care for your health? Do you wonder why I’m asking these questions? It has become quite obvious that today’s society is very, very busy. However, that should never, ever be a reason to neglect your health!
It’s time to take control of your health and here are some very tips:
1. Don’t ignore your body signals – You may have heard me say this repeatedly and perhaps read it here as well, but it is something that must never be neglected. Your body will give you signals when something is wrong. Headaches, nausea, digestive issues are far from normal. Those are signs your body is giving you and if neglected will lead to more serious issues.
2. Slow down – Again in this rush-rush society you may be tempted to run around like a chicken without a head and it’s time to S-L-O-W down! Rushing will cause you to stress and that in itself will cause havoc to your entire body. Rushing may also cause you to make unwise decisions such as purchasing ‘fast-food’ because of lack of planning. Remember that nothing in life is as important as your health and that of your loved ones. Slow down and focus.
3. Read the labels – There has been much talk in the news of the different additives that are being added to different food products on the market. Now it’s time to use logic. If you can’t pronounce and ingredient chances are it is not ‘natural’. Instead of choosing an item because it is labeled as ‘sugar-free’ or ‘diet’, walk away and choose a natural food product instead. You may be saying that natural or organic is more costly but in the end isn’t your health worth it? Read the labels and stay informed.
4. Make a plan – If you know that you will have a busy week or month ahead, plan ahead. Sit down and determine a menu for the week. Once the menu is determined, take it with you to the grocery store and purchase the ingredients needed. This simple act will keep you from running to the store last minute and will set your mind at ease. There is nothing more stressful than running home after a busy or hectic day to make dinner. But if you have a menu planned the stress will be decreased.
5. Start moving – No, you don’t have to go to the extreme and join a gym. You also don’t have to exercise every single day although simply moving is essential to your entire health. Some will believe that exercise is defined as weight lifting, running or aerobics classes when you can get the same or even better benefits by walking, cycling and yes, even dancing. The point is that you should definitely move your joints and muscles and don’t go to the extreme where you will feel sore and not want to move for days. Take it one day at a time and don’t neglect your body.
6. Stay hydrated – Sounds easy enough but you’d be surprised how many individuals are suffering from headaches due to dehydration. Make sure to drink water several times a day. Does coffee or tea or soft drinks count? NO!! Those mentioned are either sugar ladened or are diuretics which will eliminate fluids from your body. It’s important to drink water throughout the day and if you wait until you feel thirsty, it’s too late. If you don’t like drinking plain water, consider placing fresh fruit in the water for added vitamins.
Finally, it’s important to stay informed. Don’t be complacent and neglect your mind or your body. Remember you are given just one body so it’s best to take care of it!
Dr. Daisy Sutherland is the Founder/CEO of Dr. Mommy Online . She is a doctor, author, mentor, speaker, wife & mom to 5 children. Dr. Mommy's mission is to ~ Help Busy Women and Men with her 'Get Real' approach to living a happier and healthier lifestyle. Watch for new book: 'Letting Go of Super Mom' coming out August 7, 2012. Don't forget to grab your FREE gift... 7 Simple Ways to Stay Motivated