Guest Post: 7 Little-Known Health Benefits of Chocolate
Posted Jul 20 2009 11:28pm
Chocolate is a delicious treat that many people around the world can’t get enough of (myself admit to being a hopeless chocoholic!!). Not only is chocolate a wonderful treat, but it can also provide some excellent health benefits. If you are looking for a more natural way of dealing with pain or helping with certain health conditions, then chocolate can be the perfect natural food. Just a couple of things to note before you go indulging in the name of health–it is recommended that you eat chocolate in moderation and the suggestion is that the darker the chocolate, the higher the potential health benefit.
7 Ways Chocolate Can Make Your Healthier
1. Lower Blood Pressure: If you have elevated blood pressure levels that need to be brought down, then why not look to this delicious choice for a bit of help? Eating a small dark chocolate every night can help to lower elevated blood pressure levels over time.
2. Lower Cholesterol: An elevated cholesterol level can not only be bad news on its own, but can lead to other health problems. Eating a small chocolate bar each night before bed can lower Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL) levels by up to 10%. This “bad cholesterol” is what you need to be concerned with and chocolate can be an excellent way to ensure that you lower these levels to an appropriate place.
3. Provides High Levels of Antioxidants: Many people turn to dark chocolate specifically to receive the high levels of antioxidants that it can provide. The antioxidants that it provides provide protection from potentially dangerous or even cancerous cells and can keep you healthy and free of the onset of disease.
4. Keep Your Heart Healthy: If you are looking for a tasty way to keep your heart healthy, then look no further than chocolate. Dark chocolate or cocoa powder are the best forms of chocolate to protect against heart disease or the onset of other heart conditions. Just a little chocolate can go a long way when it comes to your heart health.
5. Promotes Healthy Blood Flow: Chocolate consumption helps to ensure that the blood is flowing through the body as it should. If there is a disruption in the blood flow there is the possibility of blood clots which is a serious health condition in and of itself, but can also lead to heart attacks if left untreated. Eating chocolate on a regular basis can keep the blood flowing as it should and makes the body work the way it was intended to.
6. Natural Energy Boost: Not only is chocolate delicious and apparently nutritious, but it can also provide a natural energy boost. Small and very natural levels of caffeine appear in chocolate and therefore can provide a helpful energy boost when needed. This helps to wake you up without having to use manufactured methods or drugs instead.
7. Aid with Pain Reduction: It’s a little known fact, but chocolate is a natural analgesic. The ingredients within and makeup of chocolate help to fight off pain in a most natural way. Eating chocolate to take away a headache for example can provide a more natural pain fighting method than over-the-counter medications.
Mary Ward is a blogger and enjoys writing about medical career topics, such as how to obtain a Master of Health Administration degree, job and education tips, and more.