Gatorade Or Pinesol? Can Your Kid Tell The Difference?
Posted Jun 10 2010 4:07am
This picture is sourced from somewhere in google images. I got it in an email from a peer. Thank you!
Don’t know about you, but the image above really horrifies me.
Perhaps this has been passed around already or seen on TV or in a magazine somewhere, but this is the first time I’ve ever seen it.
I have not been in a main stream grocery store cleaning aisle in a really long time. I had no idea cleaning products went neon. I have seen the neon artificially colored Gatorade. Why this appeals to anyone is completely beyond me. Why a company thinks adding harmful colorantmakes their products sell more is also beyond me. I admit to having a strong aversion to artificially and brightly colored foods. Sno-cones, flavo-pops, m&ms, are just a few things that come to mind. Why would I want to eat or drink something like that?
Neon Colored and Artificially Scented Cleaning Products? Does having purple Pine Sol make cleaning more fun? Is an orange scent really going to make it any less toxic?
I remember when my son was born, and before cleaning green how someone said they kept their cleaning products up high, above the kitchen sink, instead of below. I grew up with my mom keeping everything under the kitchen sink, she used the toxic stuff, and for awhile so did I. I never knew anything else. The idea of a child drinking cleaning products just floored me – would a kid really do that? Oh yes indeed they would. Adopting the practice of keeping things out of harms way made sense. I started keeping cleaning products above the sink.
Of course years later when I switched products all together and didn’t have that toxic stuff around I didn’t have to be concerned.
90 % of suspected poisonings occur at home from household products – excuse me this says POISONINGS!!
How about this one…
According to a 15-year study presented at the Toronto Indoor Air Conference, women who work at home have a 54% higher death rate from cancer than those who work away from home. The study concluded that this was a direct result of the increased exposure to toxic chemicals, many of which are found in common household products.
Death from working from home. Lovely.
Read a comprehensive toxic household chemical facts and statistics commentary here.
What’s Under Your Kitchen Sink?
Carpet Cleaners are extremely toxic to children. The fumes given off by carpet cleaners can cause cancer and liver damage.
Chlorine is the chemical most frequently involved in household poisonings and a potent pollutant. May cause reproductive, endocrine and immune system disorders.
Degreasers may contain petroleum distillates and butylcelosolve, which can damage lung tissues and dissolve fatty tissue surrounding nerve cells.
Drain Cleaners one of the most hazardous products in the home. Can contain lye, which is a strong caustic substance that causes severe corrosive damage to eyes, skin mouth, and stomach. Can be fatal if swallowed.
Glass Cleaners may contain ammonia. Fumes from ammonia can irritate skin, eyes, and respiratory system.
Mold & Mildew Removers are often an acute respiratory irritant. May damage lungs, eyes and skin.
Oven Cleaners are one of the most dangerous cleaning products. Can cause severe damageto eyes, skin, mouth, throat.
Scouring Cleansers may contain butyl cellosolve, a petroleum-based solvent that can irritate mucous membranes and cause liver and kidney damage.
Toilet Bowl Cleaners are one of the most dangerouscleaning products. Can contain chlorine and hydrochloric acid. Harmful to health simply by breathing during use.
Tub & Tile Cleaners can contain chlorine and may contribute to the formation of organocholorines, a dangerous class of compounds that can cause reproductive, endocrine and immune system disorders.
Want to learn more ? Click here and take the survey.
These are just a few of the typical poisons found under most kitchen sinks.