Summer is heating up but you and your family can stay cool with these super easy, Watermelon Popsicles. With only two ingredients you can quickly prep these for a relaxing treat. And no worries, you won’t find any chemicals, food colors or syrups in this recipe. It’s just like feeding your family watermelon on a stick!
It’s said that “Necessity is the mother of invention”. Well that was kindof the case with these Watermelon Popsicles. We were all craving something cold but I don’t have any popsicle molds. ( A long story of trying to find molds that actually work like they are supposed to). So I decided to try this idea out and I have to say it worked AMAZING (pat on back please). But before I get ahead of myself let’s review the recipe:
- 4 cups watermelon
- 1/4 teaspoon stevia (I like the Very Berry flavored personally, but regular will also work)
- Optional – dash of salt (you REALLY should try this!)
Place all ingredients in a blender until the watermelon is completely pureed. It should be the consistency of water.
Yields apx. 8-10 popsicles.
Pour into molds until frozen solid.
NOW if you don’t have a mold (yep, I know there has got to be other people out there besides me). Then try this easy tip:
- Dixie cups – you know the plastic kind you can get at the dollar store. I bought 50 for $.50.
- Popsicle sticks – look for them in the craft section of any retail store.
- Scotch tape
Pour the watermelon puree into the cups. Place 2 strips of scotch tape across the top, keeping the tape tight next to each other. Put the popsicle stick in between the tape.
When you’re ready to eat, just place the cup under running warm water for about 30 seconds. The popsicle comes right out.
That’s it. Call me crazy but this works GREAT. Not only is this really easy, but here’s the scoop on how GOOD it is for you too:
- Watermelon is a fantastic source of antioxidants like: Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Magnesium and Potassium.
- It can also decrease the inflammation that contributes to conditions like asthma, atherosclerosis, diabetes, colon cancer, and arthritis.
- This fruit is also packed with a concentrated dose of lycopene. Which is showing to be a great source in cancer prevention. Did you know that Watermelon contains more lycopene than any other fruit or vegetable?
- And of course you can’t dismiss that this treat is great for weight loss. Since watermelon has a 92% water content the calories are super low. (Not that we count calories here, but just in case you were wondering…).
These popsicles are so good that I couldn’t get the picture fast enough before half of these yummy treats were gone!
Would love for you to share how your family plans on staying cool this summer. Let me hear from you!
Happy New Year 2012 - a look back, party recipes and what's to come