Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Go
Search posts:

Dogs Ingesting Xylitol Could Get Sick or Even Die

Posted Dec 18 2008 7:35pm

Increased demand for Xylitol-containing sugar-free gum for humans is leading to an increasing number of pet deaths, according to an article in Confectionerynews.com.

Reportedly, dogs who ingest the sugar substitute Xylitol could develop hypoglycemia, which could trigger loss of coordination, seizures, liver damage, and in serious cases, jaundice and the breakdown of red blood cells. 

Xylitol, which Connie discusses in her book SUGAR SHOCK! -- is often used in chewing gum, as well as candy, baked goods and toothpaste.

The dilemma is that even a small amount of xylitol can be fatal for pets, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center reports. According to a Chicago Tribune report, less than 0.1 gram per kilogram of body weight can cause symptoms. 

In 2005, the APCC managed 170 cases involving xylitol-containing products, up from 70 in 2004, the center noted in a press release last year.

Humans with dogs, sounds like you best steer clear of xylitol for the sake of your pets!

From Althea Chang for the SUGAR SHOCK! Blog

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches