Are you a soup lover like me? If the answer is yes, you are going to adore my recipe for creamy broccoli turmeric soup! There is nothing better than a steaming hot bowl of soup when the weather is cold unless you pair it with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich, to take it over the top! I grew up in Ohio and we had some really super cold winters with lots of snow and freezing cold wind chill factors. During this time of year, my mom and I would always make hot soups together and creamy broccoli soup was one that I always craved.
Today’s recipe puts a healing foods spin on our family recipe by taking out the heavy cream and using an avocado to make the soup creamy. I also added turmeric and ginger, two potent anti-inflammatory spices that have great flavor and wonderful health benefits. Turmeric is a common ingredient used in Indian cuisine and I like adding it into many of my recipes.
Turmeric is one of my favorite ingredients to use in my healing foods recipes. This awesome rhizome is fantastic to use in both the raw root form or dried and ground into a powder. Turmeric is a potent inflammation fighting spice that has the active ingredient curcumin. Curcumin has been widely studied for its pain relieving properties and its absorption is greatly increased when combined with piperine a compound found in black pepper. Turmeric also contains antioxidants that help the liver detoxify.
Ginger has a delightful spicy flavor that is so good in this soup! Ginger is a potassium-rich rhizome that is excellent for stimulating digestion and bile flow, relieving nausea, and protecting our bodies from inflammation.
If you would like to try some of my other recipes that use turmeric and ginger, you can check them out in:
I hope you enjoy making and eating this tasty soup! If you want more fantastic winter soup recipes, check out 50+ Delectable Winter Soup Recipes You Must Try ! This new eBook is on sale for $3.97 until February 4th when it goes up to $9.97. This beautiful book is filled with over 50 delectable winter soup recipes all made with whole foods. Each recipe includes detailed instructions and beautiful full-color pictures and you can download it immediately after purchase.
If you need more healthy inspiration and help, please check out my new cookbook that’s packed with 154 tasty healing foods recipes and over 50 pages of holistic lifestyle tips for more energy and better immunity! Deliciously Holistic is for sale on Amazon right now!
Join our holistic community by signing up for our email updates, like us on Facebook , follow us on Twitter , and pin with us on Pinterest to get all the latest healthy recipes, health tips, event notifications, and information on increasing your energy, strength, and immunity with healing whole foods and holistic lifestyle solutions.
1 teaspoon turmeric powder (Good source for turmeric )
1 large head Broccoli—stems removed and cut into florets
1 bay leaf
5 cups organic vegetable stock
¼ teaspoon fresh ginger—grated
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
⅛ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 small avocado
½ fresh lemon
1. Melt coconut oil over medium heat in a large pot with a lid. Add diced onions and celery and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the Himalayan pink salt. Cook until soft around 3-5 minutes.
2. Add garlic and turmeric during the last 1-2 minutes of the onions and celery cooking, and continue cooking on low heat while stirring frequently to keep the garlic and turmeric from burning.
3. Add broccoli florets, bay leaf, vegetable stock, ginger, cayenne, black pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt. Cover pot and cook over medium-low heat until broccoli is tender, around 25-30 minutes.
4. After soup is done cooking, remove from heat and add peeled and pitted avocado that is cut in half. Puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth. You can also blend the soup in a regular blender. Taste and add more salt if needed.
5. Pour soup into bowls and add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Enjoy immediately.