I am celebrating this evening with cupcakes! I have been dying to make these ever since I bought the Cook Yourself Thin cookbook a while back. Dessert makes me very happy and for some reason this week went by very slow for me so I was ready to celebrate the weeks' end with some cupcakes. I almost stopped by and picked up "Hey Cupcake"which is Austin's popular cupcake on the go served out of silver airstreams but then remembered that there was some great cupcake recipes in the Cook Yourself Thin cookbook. FYI-- I have decided that theme of the weekend is going to be CUPCAKES! i.e.- I am going to be making another batch of cupcakes.
I was craving the classic Vanilla Cupcake and this recipe hit the mark. I love the fact that the recipe has zucchini in it as well as ground almonds. My family loved these and did not know that it had a vegetable in it. I also made a slight tweak by using 3/4 cup of whole wheat pastry flour and 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour instead of the 1 1/4 cup of all purpose and they turned out great.
recipe from Cook Yourself Thin
Calories per serving: 204
For the frosting
3 large egg whites
1 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
For the cupcakes
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup finely ground almonds
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups peeled zucchini, finely grated
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. To make the frosting: Combine the egg whites, sugar, salt and vanilla extract in a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pan of simmering water. Stir continuously over heat until the mixture is warm and the sugar is completely dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Remove the bowl from the heat. Using a handheld electric or standing mixer set on high, beat until the mixture is entirely cooled, glossy and stiff, about 7 minutes. Blend in the lemon zest until smooth — once smooth, take care not to overbeat or the mixture will get lumpy. Let frosting set and cool in the refrigerator (at least 30 minutes), while making the cupcakes.
4. To make the cupcakes: Arrange a rack in the center of the oven. Line a 12-muffin pan with cupcake liners.
5. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, almonds and baking powder; set aside. In another bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla with a handheld or standing mixer until thick and light-colored, about 4 minutes. Beat in the zucchini on low speed until fully incorporated.
6. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed until fully incorporated, scraping down the bowl once with a spatula during beating. Use a 1/3-cup measure to spoon into the muffin cups.
7. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes, turning the pan midway through baking. Transfer cupcakes out onto a wire rack and cool completely before icing with the chilled frosting.
Yum! These are freaking awesome.
So I did eat some other things beside cupcakes today (I really only had one). It was a really busy day today. I dropped the kids off at school and then did a garage run (rainy today), taught Bliss Boot Camp, then trained two personal trainer clients back to back, then home to get cleaned up before retrieving Tico and Tica, the Leopard Geckos that Emmet is babysitting this weekend, getting them safely home and then time to take Zoe to the doctor and a little shopping at her favorite store "Justice". Whew! That pretty much took up the whole day so as you will see my meals today were my favorite quicky meals.
Breakfast was the beloved Almond Butter & Banana on Ezekiel English Muffin.
Lunch was a quick Greek Pear Salba Bowl.
Greek Pear Salba Bowl
3/4 cup Fage 2% Greek Yogurt
1 pear, diced
1 tbsp of Salba Smart
1 tbsp almonds, chopped
drizzle of honey
Dinner was an Egg, Bean and Cheese Taco. Have I mentioned how much I love tacos, they are quick and easy and super satisfying. The previous night I had leftover Chicken Tacos so I have been on a bit of taco tear.
Egg, Bean and Cheese Taco
Last night's dinner- Chicken, Bean and Cheese Tacos
I will be teaching yoga at 8:30am tomorrow at Hill Country Fitness and really hope that people show up this week. It is such a great way to start the morning and weekend.
Other exciting weekend plans include the previously mentioned babysitting of Tico and Tica, the Leopard Geckos (as you can imagine my son, Emmet is thrilled), make a trip to Whole Foods, make (healthy) Red Velvet Cupcakes and my sister and her family are coming to town so that should be fun!
I hope you all enjoy your Friday and I will check back tomorrow.