So this weekend , the girls and I got to talking about the best dishes we’ve eaten recently. One of my friends told us about this ultimate mac & cheese dish she had at the mac & cheese “boutique” restaurant (genius) - S’MAC – in NYC. Her description of the gooey cheese, crunchy topping and mouth watering mix-ins has had me craving good ol’ M&C ever since!
Tonight I made my own rendition of everyone’s favorite, childhood comfort food, by mixing in some garden-fresh veggies and tangy goat cheese, to make Summer Mac & Cheese!
1/2 lb whole wheat shells
1 Tablespoon olive oil
salt & pepper
2 cups broccoli, chopped
1 yellow squash, sliced
1/2 cup fresh corn
1/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon butter
2 Tablespoons flour
1 can chicken broth
red pepper flakes (to taste)
4 oz goat cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and sauté broccoli, zucchini and corn, seasoned with salt & pepper, until lightly colored – about 2 minutes.
2. Add water, place a lid on top of the skillet and steam for 2-3 minutes, or until the the veggies are fork tender.
3. Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat in another skillet and whisk in flour. Cook the mixture for about one minute before slowly whisking in the chicken broth a splash at a time.
4. Allow the mixture to bubble over medium-high heat for 6-7 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheeses until well blended.
5. Combine the pasta and cheese sauce and stir to coat. Fold in the vegetable, mix and serve warm!
Grown up indeed!
Cheesy and creamy, but light, with a nice kick from the red pepper flakes and sweet crunch from the fresh corn.
I am totally loving the pasta shells too. The last time I made something similar I used spaghetti – which is fine – but in a world full of spaghetti, isn’t making a dish with shells just a little more fun? Very Velveeta Mac & Cheese, if you will.
And, ok, I know the recipe looks like there’s a lot of ingredients, but most of it is “pantry stuff”. You know – butter, flour, cheese, olive oil, pasta… I bet you’ve got all of them right now, don’t you?!
FYI – I give you full permission to go ahead and eat all the veggies first, then go back for seconds of just the pasta…it’s ok, I won’t tell.
In other news, my great day got even better when, as I was rummaging around my pantry for sundried tomatoes to add to the pasta (with no luck), I found THIS!!!! An extra Chocolate Brownie PURE Bar ! I thought I had eaten the last of my stash WEEKS ago!
Ahhhh, sweet, sweet chocolate brownie bliss…
I’ve got some family business to attend to tonight – so I am out.
Stay tuned tomorrow for the reveal of the best news I’ve gotten this weekmonthyear decade?! AHHH!!
What were some of your favorite comfort foods growing up?
The girls and I also talked about this topic this weekend. We all decided that, hands down, hot dogs were FOR SURE on the comfort food menu. Especially the ones with cheese in the middle…oh.my.