When we had friends visit us over Memorial Day weekend, I was on a mission to serve up some delicious, manly food for our guests.
What is more manly than buffalo sauce? Chicken? Cheese!?
Done and Done.
The men didn’t know that I made these enchiladas ……..healthy.
Shhhh, what they don’t know doesn’t hurt them.
These enchiladas came together fairly quickly. As long as you have chicken shredded (think- rotisserie chicken), it will come together in a snap.
Let’s cut to the chase: these enchiladas are comforting, perfectly spicy and uber satisfying. Ready to make these? K, good.
Preheat your oven to 375 F. Crumble your cube of blue cheese and locate 8 whole wheat tortillas. Gather your 2 cups of shredded chicken, 1 can drained and rinsed white beans, and caramelized onions in a large bowl and throw lots of salt and pepper in there.
Make your buffalo sauce: mix together 1 8 oz can tomato sauce with 1/4-1/2 cup of your favorite buffalo sauce. Spread a little of the sauce to cover the bottom of your 13 x 9 inch pan.
Fill one whole wheat tortilla with 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture, top with a little of the cheese, roll up and place down on the pan. Repeat until all 8 tortillas are filled and the chicken mixture is gone.
Top the enchiladas with the rest of the sauce, making sure it covers every inch.
Top with the remaining blue cheese and 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella.
Cover the pan tightly with foil and pop ‘er in the oven. Cook for 25-30 minutes, remove the foil and cook for another 10 or so minutes- until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
Top with a handful of fresh cilantro,
throw a dollop of greek yogurt and top and go to town!
If I had had any leftovers after I made these, I would have ate them for breakfast the next morning with a fried egg on top. Ohhh myyyyyyy yum. But the men took this pan down, and I wouldn’t have expected anything less. Will someone please make these and egg it up the next morning and tell me how it was? kthanks. And if (it’s even possible) you have leftovers for lunch the next day, toss a couple enchiladas over a bed of greens so you can get some veggies in. Seriously, I can’t really say much else besides how good they were. Just make ‘em already.
Buffalo Enchiladas with Chicken and White Beans
1 large red onion
1 can white beans
2 cups shredded chicken (2 breasts or 1 shredded rotisserie chicken)
8 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 cup your favorite buffalo sauce
8 oz wedge blue cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
10 whole wheat tortillas
1 bunch fresh cilantro
Salt and Pepper
1. Slice red onion and cook in 1 TB oil over medium low heat until caramelized ~ 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook and shred chicken. Rinse and drain white beans. Preheat oven to 375.
3. Combine tomato sauce and 1/4/-1/2 cup of buffalo sauce (depending on how spicy you want it).
4. In a large bowl, throw together the beans, chicken, and red onion. Top with a pinch of salt and pepper (give it a quick taste and add more s/p if you need to).
5. Crumble blue cheese and shred mozzarella cheese.
6. Spread a little of the buffalo sauce to cover the bottom of the pan.
7. Fill each tortilla with the chicken/bean mixture and top with a little blue cheese. Roll tortilla and place side down in the pan. Repeat until all 8 tortillas are filled.
8. Top tortillas with the rest of the sauce and sprinkle both blue cheese and mozzarella on top.
9. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
10. Chop cilantro. Sprinkle over top of enchiladas.
11. Serve with greek yogurt.