Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

Blogger Dinner and Silver Comet Half Marathon

Posted Oct 30 2010 12:03pm

When we planned a blogger dinner the night before my race, at first I didn’t know if I should attend. But then I figured that I had to eat anyway and who better to eat with (well, besides Jason) than other bloggers. Originally there were supposed to be about 9 of us but several people ended up not being able to attend, so it was only five of us that had dinner at Eclipse di Luna last night.

After going to Seasons 52 for the first two blogger dinners, we decided that we needed a change of scenery. Eclipse di Luna is a tapas restaurant. Normally I’m not sure a huge fan of tapas because I don’t seem to get enough food. People usually order meat-centered dishes which I’m not able to eat. I actually suggested this restaurant for last night though. And I definitely had enough food and most everything that everyone ordered I could eat! We had, amongst other things, hummus, ceviche, tuna tartar, caprese salad, a little pizza and yucca fries. I think the yucca fries were my favorite.


Me, Tina, Emily, Alayna and Kelly.

We tried to get our waitress to take a table shot of us and, for some reason, she held the camera at her belly button and cut out poor Alayna!


Blogger meetups are fun! I think we should do them like once a month. Anyone agree with me there?

We stayed at the restaurant for about two hours. When I got home, I prepared all of my race gear and went to bed. Per the norm before a race, I didn’t sleep well. I think I was worried that I’ll oversleep. Or maybe I was just worried about the race in general. Who knows?

Racing this time of year is tricky. The mornings are pretty chilly but after the sun comes up, it gets much warmer out. I wasn’t sure if I should wear short sleeves or long sleeves. Yahoo weather said it was 39 degrees out when I got up, so I put on a long sleeved shirt.

I got to the race, parked my car at a middle school where we were supposed to park and walked nearly a mile to the start. I don’t know why they had us park so far away! I immediately ran into my friend Dave when I got to the packet pickup. They had a new type of timing chip this year. At least, it was new to me. It looked like a D-tag on the back of your number, but you didn’t remove it and put it on your shoe; you just left it attached to your number.


The beginning of the race was congested. There were people holding pace signs, but I wasn’t able to make my way to the 10 minute mile group, so I ended up standing behind the 11 minute mile sign. I definitely had to weave in and out of people for the first few miles. This race is on a trail so it’s narrow. But after Mile 3 or so, it thins out since everyone around you is mostly running at the same pace. It’s an out and back, but no one is coming back just quite yet. I did see my first person coming back as I passed Mile 5. (The turnaround was a little past mile 7.)

The first couple of miles passed by really quickly. Isn’t it weird how you can run a 5K and it seems to take a long time to get to the end, but in a longer race, the first 5K passes incredibly fast? At least, that’s what happens to me. I took a Gu at Mile 5.

As I was nearing the turnaround, I passed the time by looking for Dave. It’s kind of fun to see your friends on the course while one of you is going out and the other is coming back.

I felt totally fine until Mile 9. Then I just wanted it to be over. My pace definitely slowed around this point and I could feel the infamous underboob chafe and a blister forming on my right foot. I really wanted to walk around Mile 11, so I let myself take two tiny walk breaks. Not sure if they helped or not. I also took another Gu to try to gain some energy.

The last mile seemed to take FOREVER. It was at this point where I really questioned if I want to sign up for something that’s double this distance. I’m still not sure. Half-marathons are hard enough! After what felt like an eternity, the finish line was finally in view. I wasn’t sure what my time was but tried to give it my all. When I crossed the finish line, the time clock read 2:15:45 or so!

PR. 2:15. I did it. After 5 years of not achieving the elusive half-marathon PR, I finally did it! Seriously, do you know how frustrating it is to PR in your first race? I’m pretty sure that I started at least a minute after the start gun, so I think I beat my 2:15 goal too. Yay.

There were shuttles to take everyone back to the parking lots, but the line was long and I thought that walking would be good for my legs, so I decided to walk about 3/4 of a mile back to my car. Jason said that he would cook me pancakes or that we would go out to eat, so the entire time, I thought about what I wanted. Pizza sounded good.

I got home and took a shower and somehow ended up crawling into the bed and sleeping for two hours. Jason had to be at work at 1:30, so there went the pizza idea! Oh well.

Now I’m going to spend the rest of the afternoon lounging on the couch. I think I deserve it!

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches