1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil 10 ounces sliced baby Bella mushrooms (or mushroom of choice) 1 red onion, diced 2 rounded tsp of minced garlic Coarse ground sea salt, fresh ground pepper and garlic powder, to taste 1/8 cup good quality white wine 3 cups pre-cooked pearl barley 1/8 cup chicken broth 6 ounces of fresh baby spinach 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar 4 ounces goat cheese (optional) 4 ounces walnuts, chopped (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a large, straight sided skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and onions. Sauté 4 minutes. Add the garlic, sauté 1 minute. Season mixture with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
2. Add the white wine and barley to the pan, reduce heat to medium and gently stir to combine. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste the mixture and add seasoning if necessary.
3. Add the chicken broth to loosen any bits and let cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the balsamic vinegar and spinach until it wilts down. This may take a few minutes of gentle stirring. Taste the mixture and add seasoning if necessary.
5. Top each serving with up to 1 oz goat cheese and 1 oz walnuts if desired.