There are just so many berries to choose from at this time of the year!
Summer is glorious and berries are gloriously available in plentiful quantities.
It’s you’ve yet heard that berries are super foods because they contain insanely high levels of antioxidants, then I’m telling you right now … if it’s better health you’re after, berries MUST be an important part of your diet!
If you don’t care about the health claims and you’re all about taste, then you’ll be happy because there are also all sorts of health benefits.
Here are 10 different reasons why you should consider adding berries to your normal diet, especially when they are in season. Along with the suspected berry favourites such as strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, we’ve listed benefits to eating pomegranates, cranberries and the über popular acai berry!
>>> I asked our Editorial Assistant Colleen to help with this segment: 10 reasons to eat berries more often!
1) Most berries are a great source of vitamin C. Just 100 mg of strawberries will give you just as much vitamin C as a full cup of OJ.
2) You won’t find too many calories in berries. A cup of cranberries is only 44 calories.
3) Raspberries are a great source of vitamin C and potassium.
4) Berries make a great snack instead of devouring salty processed foods and they top off salads quite well!
5) You don’t have to add sugar because berries are naturally sweet, especially when they are in season (which is why you should take advantage of local berries right now before the season is over!).
6) Adding berries to tarts or pies is one of my favourite things to do and I always use fresh fruit to make them.
7) Blackberries and blueberries top the list of antioxidant benefits among berries.
#8) Blueberries and cranberries can help prevent and take away any urinary tract infections.
9) Pomegranates are included in this mix of antioxidant powerhouse goodness. Not only are they a great snacks and top salads nicely, pomegranates are also beneficial to your health because adding them to your diet will help against coronary heart disease symptoms or gum diseases.
10) Acai berries are very delicious and great for you too. They improve your blood pressure, they’re high in fibre, help you sleep better at night, energize you, cleanse your body and your digestive system.
“If you like berries as much as we do … we’d love to hear from you. Drop us a line to let us know of your favourite berry!”