I saw this recipe a few months ago in a Bon Appetit Magazine, and I just knew I had to put my own spin on it. I love fritters, but I’m not so down with eggs…an ingredient they always contain. I made these egg free by using a flax-egg, and I replaced the all purpose flour with gluten free chickpea flour. I used a mix of green and yellow zucchini, because that’s what I had on hand. Lastly, the cornstarch was nixed, and arrowroot powder joined the party!
When it came to serving these, I wanted something fresh and summery….lemon and basil- it had to be! Instead of using sour cream or yogurt as a sauce, I whipped up a lemon-basil cashew cream. I love everything about it from it’s light, minty green colour to it’s balanced, fresh flavour. It helps that the basil and chives came straight out of the backyard garden, too. You just can’t beat that.
I hope you’ll give these a try!
On another note, I’m a contender in Best Health Magazine’s Best Health Blog competition. I would LOVE if you could send a vote my way. I’m honoured to be in such good company, too! Be sure to check out the other blogs that are nominated. Vote HERE.
Lastly, the wonderful Sophie of Sophie’s Foodie Files gave me an award a little while ago. It requires me to tell you 7 things about myself….so here goes:
1. I loooove Instagram, if you don’t follow me already, my username is @kokobrill, so add me up because I’d love to connect with you there
2. I love to travel. I have been to Hawaii, Greece, Italy, a brief stop in Turkey, as well as Thailand, Cambodia, and Nepal. Most recently I went on a road trip throughout California, and Nevada. I want to explore everywhere.
3. I love my dog Pepper soo much! I got her when I was just 5 years old, and she is still kickin’, and cute as ever. She has been having some rough times lately, which of course is normal for any 18 year old dog….I don’t know what I’ll do without her!
4. I have two tattoos right now, one is the logo for Blink-182, and one is an exclamation mark. I’m looking forward to a few more.
5. I love to workout out….seriously! Exercise is one of my favourite things. I do yoga twice a week, run, and lift weights. Tone It Up has some great workouts that I do, as well.
6. I think my favourite food might be avocados…I probably eat at least half of one a day. I am ALL about healthy fats, and find them incredibly beneficial. Down with sugar, and bring on the healthy fats!
7. I am starting up my own business, called Koko Raw. You might have noticed that you can now buy my raw granola through this website. From here, I will be moving into fresh-pressed juices and more. I would love for you to try my granolaout…it’s amazing!!