1. Combine grains and water in a mediumsaucepan. If desired, add 1/2 tsp (2 mL) fine sea salt. Cover and bring to aboil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for the specified cooking time.
2. Remove the lid and test the grains fortenderness. If more cooking is needed, recover and cook for 5 to 10 minutes,adding up to 1/4 cup (60 mL) water if all the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Remove from heat and let stand,covered, for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
* Buckwheatgroats: Prepare as directed, but bring water to a boil before adding thegroats. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for the specified cookingtime.
* Bulgur:Bulgur can also be soaked, rather than cooked, for use in salads and otherpreparations. Place bulgur in a large bowl and cover with an equal amount of boilingwater. Let stand for about 30 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff bulgurwith a fork.
* Farro:Prepare as directed, but drain the excess water when farro is tender. Useimmediately (no need to let stand).