Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

Weekend Recap & Hurricane Sandy…

Posted Oct 30 2012 12:13pm

Hi there!  I apologize for not posting for the past couple of days.  Things have been rather hectic here on the East Coast due to Hurricane Sandy.  I want to start off by saying that my thoughts and prayers are with each and every one of you affected by Hurricane Sandy.  This was an incredibly dangerous storm and it was absolutely awful to watch everything unfold directly outside of our window and in front of our eyes on the television.  It broke my heart to watch Atlantic City, and all of the other major Jersey Shore points fade away to nothing.

I have been going to Atlantic City and the Jersey Shore since I was a child and watching the storm rip the entire shore to shreds made me so upset.  All of the memories that I have from the shore was just completely disappearing because of what was unfolding on the television screen.  They have a lot of clean up to do and I just hope the residents are safe.  I will get to our experience with Hurricane Sandy in a bit.

I’ll start recapping Friday first.  On Friday after work, Mike and I decided to use a Groupon for a local Chinese restaurant that we had purchased.  The restaurant was so drab and dreary inside.  The food was absolutely terrible.  I’m glad that we were able to get the Groupon for free due to a promo code and that we didn’t actually pay to eat there.  I didn’t bother taking any pictures because it was just that bad.  It completely ruined the evening for us.  After dinner, we stopped at the supermarket to see if we could stock up on water.  Sadly, all the shelves of water were cleared off and they didn’t even have any bread.  So we decided to wait and go back another time over the weekend.

On Saturday, I brought my car to the dealership to get an oil change that I had been putting off.  I ended up waiting for about 45 minutes and then I ventured back home.  I caught up on some DVR shows and Mike I went to BJ’s to stock up on a case of water and some bread.  Luckily, BJ’s had a ton of stuff in stock.  We weren’t alone there though.  The lines were ridiculous!  People were stocking up and preparing for the worst of what we had been told was going to happen.  We ventured home and I spent the rest of the afternoon napping.  My stomach wasn’t feeling all that great and I just wanted to take a nap.

Once I woke up, Mike and I decided to go to Carrabbas for dinner to make up for the awful dinner on Friday night.  Our waitress brought us bread and herb oil to start with.

Bread and Herb Oil

I started my meal off with chicken soup which was fantastic.  There were huge chunks of shredded chicken in it and the broth had a wonderful flavor.

Chicken Soup

For my meal, I ordered Pasta Weesie.  I didn’t realize that the sauce was going to be so thick, and creamy and so much of it.  I tried to be careful with eating it because of my stomach.  I didn’t know how it was going to react.

My dinner

It tasted great and we had such a good experience at Carrbbas.  The waitress was great and the food was fantastic.  It was a really nice change from what happened on Friday night.

On Sunday, we woke up early and ventured to the supermarket to stock up for Sandy.  Luckily, the store wasn’t too crowded so we were able to get everything that we needed.  I’m glad we went early.  After, I went out with Mike, I picked up Melissa and my Mom and ran errands with them.  I also filled up my tank with gas.  I’m glad I waited.  The lines were so incredibly long and it died down once I got to the station.

For dinner, Mike and I decided to use the Ninja Cooking System that I had received from attending the event a few weeks ago.

We decided to make a recipe that was in the cookbook that the machine came with.  We decided on Chicken Piccata.  We did not use capers like it said in the recipe or asparagus because it was pricey at the supermarket. So we used string beans and mushrooms instead.

Chicken Piccata from the Ninja Cooking System Cookbook


2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/4 pounds boneless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed and drained
1 cup uncoooked quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (**We used String Beans & Mushrooms instead)


Stir flour, salt , and black pepper on plate. Coat chicken with flour mixture.
Add oil and butter to pot. Set to STOVETOP HIGH and heat until butter is melted. Add chicken to pot. Cook uncovered ten minutes or until chicken is lightly browned on both sides. Remove chicken from pot.
Add broth, wine, lemon juice, and capers to pot. Stir in quinoa and heat to a boil. Place roasting rack into pot and place chicken on rack. Place rack into pot and place asparagus string beans, and mushrooms on chicken. Set OVEN to 300 degrees for fifteen minutes. Cover until chicken is cooked through, asparagus string beans and mushrooms are tender, and quinoa breaks apart.
Remove asparagus string beans and mushrooms, and chicken from pot. Stir quinoa mixture. Turn off pot. Let quinoa mixture stand.

Chicken, mushrooms, and string beans on the rack after cooked

Quinoa in the Ninja Cooking System

My dinner plate

Mike and I are in love with the Ninja Cooking System!  The chicken was perfectly cooked. It was juicy and moist.  The quinoa had so much flavor.  The string beans and mushrooms were steamed in a matter of 15 minutes!  I was so impressed.  I really loved how quick it was so prepare this meal.  Before we knew it, it was on the table and ready to enjoy.  I can see us using this machine more often.

During dinner, Mike and I both found out that our offices were going to be closed on Monday.  I actually had a doctor’s appointment scheduled on Monday and I had planned to be off anyway.  My doctor’s appointment was cancelled and is now rescheduled for Thursday.  So I will need to take off on Thursday.

We went to bed on Sunday not knowing what to expect on Monday.  I was scared the entire day on Monday.  Mike and I did everything that we needed to that required electricity earlier on the day. We ran the dishwasher and made sure we had clean dishes.  We did the laundry to make sure our sheets and everything else we needed cleaned was cleaned.  I made myself crazy in the kitchen by baking.  I made Pumpkin S’mores Brownies.  I followed this recipe exactly.

Pumpkin S’mores Brownies

These brownies are incredible!  They are so moist and chocolate flavored.  They are low-fat too because you use brownie mix and just mix it with a can of pumpkin.  You don’t add oil, or eggs or anything of that nature.  I also didn’t add chocolate chips because we didn’t have any.  It still turned out fantastic!

We watched the news the entire day.  We watched damage taking place on the news.  We heard gusts of wind and saw and heard pouring rain.  I was so afraid we were going to lose power.  We kept hoping and wishing and praying that the lights would not go out.  We waited for a while to make dinner.  We finally decided to make pasta with turkey meatballs.

Our dinner

After dinner, we braced ourselves for the worst part of the storm.  The eye of Sandy reached Atlantic City at 8pm.  We sat there and just watched the destruction take place on tv.  It was absolutely terrible to watch.  Meanwhile, we heard massive gusts of wind taking place outside our window.  It was crazy how windy it was.  We experienced about 70mph winds last night.  It was so scary and I kept praying our electricity would stay on that we wouldn’t experience bad damage to our home.

We are so fortunate that we didn’t lose power during this storm.  We are lucky that we didn’t experience flooding or major damage.  This storm was one of the scariest moments to experience.  We didn’t know what to expect.  The winds were so strong.  It was very eerie.  I have heard there is major damage near our home in the surrounding towns.  A lot of our bordering neighbors have no power.  We haven’t left our house yet.  I’m scared to see what it looks like on the roads.  This is what our backyard looks like.




Not bad compared to what it could have been.  I am thankful.  My hearts go out to all of those affected much worse than what we were.  Did Sandy do any damage to your area?

I’m not sure what is to come tomorrow or if I will have work or not.  I’m thinking that I will and that is okay by me.  I just pray that everything will be okay.  There is a long road ahead of a lot of people and my heart goes out to them.  Stay safe!

Have a great Tuesday!


Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches