Oatmeal Scones 14 scones
What You'll Need1 cup all-purpose flour1 cup whole wheat pastry flour2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats2 tbsp. baking powder1/2 cup firmly packed dark or light brown sugar1/4 tsp. salt1/2 cup salted butter, cold and chopped into pieces (If you use unsalted add an extra 1/4 tsp. of salt.)1 cup dates, pitted and chopped (or another dried fruit, I actually used dried cherries)1 3/4 cups half-and-half1 large egg1 tsp. sugar
Getting Started 1. Preheat your oven to 375°. Grease or line with parchment two cookies sheets.
2. In a large bowl mix together both flours, rolled oats, baking powder, brown sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knifes, cut in the cold butter until the mixture until it's crumbly and the butter pieces are no larger than peas.
3. Stir in the chopped dates or other dried fruit. Slowly add half-and-half while stirring or mixing continuously. Beat mixture for 1 minute. The dough will be moist and sticky.
4. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead briefly, then pat it out to about 3/4" thick. Using a biscuit cutter or a glass dipped in flour to cut 3" rounds out of the dough. Place them on prepared cookie sheets.
5. In a small bowl mix together egg and sugar for an egg wash. Brush it lightly on each scone.
6. Bake the scones for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
Enjoy and don't forget to share!