3 large or 4 small eggs 85g (raw) caster sugar 30g plain flour 35g potato flour* 1 teaspoon baking powder
150-200g raspberries 1 apple, peeled and grated 2 tablespoons (raw) caster sugar
300ml cream pure ground vanilla 1 tablespoon (raw) caster sugar
*In Australia, potato starch is sold as potato flour. Available at Coles and most speciality stores.
1. Preheat the oven to 225C and line a cookie tray (15cm x 10cm) with baking paper.
2. Beat sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Combine dry ingredients and gently add them through a sieve. Fold to combine. Pour the batter onto the tray and bake for 5-7 minutes, until golden brown.
3. Place a clean sheet of baking paper on the kitchen bench and sprinkle the paper with sugar. Turn the baked cake onto the paper and peel off the paper.
4. Combine raspberries, apple and sugar and sieve to get rid of excess liquid. Spread the jam onto the cake, then roll tightly (using the paper) leaving the seam underneath. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour or two.
5. Flavour the cream with vanilla and sugar and whip to soft peaks. Cut the roll to pieces and top each piece with cream and strawberries. Serve immediately. The roll can be frozen (filled, not topped).