If you're not keeping a can or two of light coconut milk in your pantry, do! It is so simple to throw together a quick curry or soup with other bits and pieces from the refrigerator, freezer or pantry.
Sweet Potato Bisque withWest Indian Spices
As an avowed lover of allthings sweet potato, I am unabashedly beholden to this soup. It has just theright balance of sweet, savory and spicy.
Makes 6 servings
Food processor, blender orimmersion blender
2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
2 tsp mild curry powder
1 tsp finely grated lime zest
1/2 tsp ground allspice
4 cups reduced-sodium ready-to-use chicken orvegetable broth
1 cup light coconut milk
1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1. In a large saucepan, combine sweet potatoes, curry powder,lime zest, allspice and broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduceheat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes or until sweetpotatoes are very soft.
2. Working in batches, transfer soup to food processor (or useimmersion blender in pot) and purée until smooth. Return soup to pan (ifnecessary) and whisk in coconut milk and lime juice. Warm over mediumheat, stirring, for 1 minute.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt and lime juice untilsmooth. Serve soup sprinkled with cayenne.
* When puréeing the soup in a food processor or blender, fillthe bowl no more than halfway full at a time.
* Store the cooled soup in an airtight container in therefrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw overnightin the refrigerator or in the microwave using the Defrost function. Warm soupin a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.