INGREDIENTS (my version):
1. In a bowl combine the cream cheese, butter, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
2. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
3. Add confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time. Combine.
4. This is what you should have. Adjust sugar according to your liking.
5. Frost the cake... middle and top layers, along with the sides. I decorated the cake with walnuts. I know it's very messy. It was 4 AM!!! :-)
FROSTING RATING: 5 / 5
I really enjoyed the frosting, it was just right. The cinnamon added a more pumpkin feel to this cake which I loved. If you feel like you need more frosting, go ahead and add 1 to 2 tbsp of butter. I wouldn't add more cream cheese though.
OVERALL RATING: 4 / 5
This cake was really good the day I made it, however I felt it lacked a little moisture. I made a mistake by increasing the pumpkin amounts and reducing the oil. I should have simply added applesauce instead. Going forward, I'm positive the applesauce will correct the moistness when eaten a day later. Despite that, this cake was really good, delicious, and relatively moist the day of his birthday. My husband loved his birthday cake and that's all that matters. The flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg gave this cake a more pumpkin feel to it. It almost tasted as though I was eating a carrot cake. I think banana or pineapple would taste so good in this cake. It would then be a Pumpkin Banana Cake or Pumpkin Pineapple Cake.
If you do consider making this cake with applesauce, please let me know how it turns out. I'd love to know!
TELL ME: Do you have a sweet tooth? How do you keep your sugar in check?