Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

Solemn Easter

Posted Apr 01 2013 1:09pm

Hey guys! Guesssss whaaaat? I finally heard from SlimKicker about the winner of the food scale giveaway ! Thank you to all who entered. You guys had some really fantastic ideas. The winner is…

Great idea, Chammy! Please send your shipping information to and they will send the food scale over to you!

How is everyone this Monday? I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and a happy Easter, if you celebrate it. My weekend was a bit more solemn than usual due to my grandfather’s recent illness, which I mentioned on Friday . Here’s a look back at my weekend…


Fabio and I left work early on Friday so that we could pick up my uncle David from the airport. He lives in Los Angeles and flew in on Friday afternoon to see my grandfather. We arrived at the airport minutes after he picked up his bag. Perfect timing.

Then we made the three-hour drive to my grandparents’ house in Hague, Virginia. Hague is a quiet little town right on the water, and although it’s a bit isolated and far away, it’s beautiful. (Fun fact: It’s also near Tappahannock, Chris Brown’s home town. You know the song, “I’m a country boy from Tappahanock, VA is where I reside…”)

When we stopped for gas along the way, I decided to pick up some snacks since it was nearing dinnertime and my tummy was grumbling. The options at the Exxon were quite limited, so I went with some peanut butter crackers and Fig Newtons. Not a bad choice! They were delicious and held me over until dinner.

Soon we were back on the road and approaching my grandparents’ house.

When we got there it was very subdued and although I was really happy to see my whole family, it was a very sad atmosphere. There were a lot of tears and we spent the evening just being with one another.

My stepdad whipped a delicious dinner for us all, since my grandmother was in no condition to cook (she was naturally very upset about the whole thing. Also, she reads my blog everyday. Hi Grandma! I love you!!).

My stepdad did a wonderful job and made us:

  • An arugula salad with broiled salmon and a poached egg
  • Pork roast with rosemary, sweet potatoes, and carrots
  • Cherry crepes

Everything tasted delicious and we all really appreciated the gesture.

We spent the rest of the evening sitting around drinking wine and passing around fun memories, most of which revolved around my grandfather. No one really wanted to go to bed because we were all feeling really sad and the wine and laughter helped us to forget about the sadness for a little while. We wound up staying up until 2:00 am, which I think was the only way for us all to cope with the hard time.


In the morning we enjoyed some time around the house before we had to go to the hospital. It was a beautiful day and I spent some time walking around my grandparents’ grounds. They live right on the water which was nice and peaceful.

Soon it was time for breakfast and my uncle Steve took charge of cooking this time. He made us toast, bacon, and eggs with cheese, broccoli, and spinach. It was delicious and I enjoyed every last bite.

Soon it was time to head to the hospital, which I was somewhat nervous about. My mom told me that my grandfather was hooked up to a ton of machines which would look scary, and that he wouldn’t really be awake to talk to us. Even going in with that knowledge, I was nervous and didn’t know what to expect.

Upon our arrival, we spoke with some really great nurses who are taking good care of my grandfather. One of the nurses even called into work on her day off to check on him. It was so comforting to know that he is being cared for by such attentive staff.

The nurse informed us that his surgery went well and they are trying to ween him off some of his medications. All in all, it seems like he is getting better but that this will definitely be more of a long-term situation. He’s still in the ICU and I don’t think he’ll be getting out of the hospital any time soon.

This has been extremely hard on my family, especially for my grandmother. She has spent three quarters of her life with my grandfather and being alone, for however long, is not going to be easy for her.

Right now my aunt and uncle are staying with her in Hague, but they will need to leave tomorrow to fly back to their homes. Since they are there now, my mom decided to come home on Saturday afternoon. She will likely go back down later this week, but she needed to get some things straightened up at home and at work ahead of time. This is definitely going to be a difficult time for my family.

Since my mom was driving back home, we decided to go with her. We arrived back at our apartment around 5:00 pm, after sitting through a few hours of traffic.

Fabio and I had a seven mile run on the schedule, which sounded awful after the emotional day, but we haven’t skipped a single run on our plan yet and I actually thought the run might be good for me to think about everything else that was going on.

The weather was beautiful and our run took us around the cherry blossoms (which haven’t bloomed yet) and along the Potomac River. It was really peaceful and I thought about my grandfather a lot. I think it was exactly what I needed after the emotional day.

Our pace wasn’t that great, but I didn’t really mind. I wasn’t worrying about it all during our run; I just wanted to keep going.

After our run, Fabio and I decided to spend a relaxing evening at home. We picked up Chipotle and rented Pitch Perfect on demand. It was a great way to spend Saturday night.


At first I didn’t think my family would want to do anything to celebrate Easter since we usually spend that holiday with my grandparents and I didn’t think anyone would be up to celebrating, but it turns out my mom still wanted to go to brunch to help her get her mind off things.

She’s really close with her dad (my grandfather) and this has all been really difficult on her. If she thought brunch would cheer her up, then I wanted to do anything possible to help! Brunch it is!

First Fabio and I banged out a three-mile run on the treadmill at the gym. Treadmill = torture, but we were pressed for time and it seemed like the best option.

Then we quickly showered up and drove to my mom’s house. Jack was allowed to join.

Soon we arrived at my mom’s and sat down for a few minutes before it was time to leave for brunch. Then we headed to The Comus Inn , which is one of our favorite restaurants . It’s only a few minutes away from my house and features beautiful views of Sugarloaf mountain, a rogue mountain nearby. The food there is always excellent and I was excited to see what they put together for brunch!

I think going to something fun like brunch really helped my mom keep her mind off of things. She seemed really happy and we all had a great time.

The brunch was set up buffet style so I helped myself to a little bit of everything. After nibbling on some savory treats (including Eggs Chesapeake – aka Eggs Benedict with crabmeat – yum!), my mom and I split a waffle which we agreed was life-changing.

Neither of us eat waffles very often so maybe they are always this good, but we could not stop talking about how delicious it was. Of course, the butter, syrup, and whipped cream that we put on top probably didn’t hurt ;)

It was a great brunch and I’m really glad we decided to still go. It definitely helped lift the spirits of my family.

After brunch we hung out at my mom’s house for a while just chatting and spending time together. Eventually Fabio, Jack, and I headed back home to do some chores. Mainly we needed to tackle our exploding laundry baskets. Jack was happy to help.

We spent the rest of the evening relaxing, reading, and watching Game of Thrones (love that show!). It was a pretty subdued Easter, but I think it was exactly what my family needed considering the circumstances.

Please keep my grandfather in your thoughts and prayers and thank you so much for all your support!

Question of the day: How do you celebrate Easter?






Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches