this tart and found enough things around the house (apples, honey, cinnamon, sugar) to quickly put this together.Simple Honey & Apple Galette My mom always set up a tub of bobbing apples at parties so apples are reminiscent of my October birthday. I also love apple desserts. They're usually simple, fresh, and undeniably fall. I had a wheel of dough leftover form making
For the filling4 cups sliced apples - I used Gala and left the skins on
juice 1 lemon
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 pastry crust (see recipe below)
splash of milk or cream vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for serving
For the fillingSimply toss apple slices, lemon juice, sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
For the crust*makes 2 crusts but you only need 1 for this galette
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
1/2 tsp table salt
1 cup very cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
1/4 cup ice water
1. In the bowl of a food processor combine flour and salt, pulse. Add the butter. Pulse 20 times or until the butter is the size of tiny pebbles. With the motor running, stream in ice water. Stop the motor. Pulse 6-8 times until the mixture leaves the sides of the bowl.
2. Turn mixture onto floured counter and knead it to form a dough. You simply want to bring all the crumbs together and make it smooth.
3. Divide the dough in half, shape each into a disc about 1" thick, wrap with plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour up to 2 days.
When ready to assemble
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Roll chilled pastry dough into a rough 12" circle, using plenty of flour and place on baking pan.
3. Drizzle honey in a thin layer across dough, leaving a 1" border around the edges.
4. Arrange apple slices, starting from the outside working in, tightly overlapped into a spiral, leaving a 1" border.
5. Fold dough over apples and brush edges with milk or cream. You can sprinkle the edges with sugar if you like.
6. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until nicely browned.
7. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.