Rye Gingerbread Cookies (makes 30-50 cookies) (recipe from Pirkka.fi )
125g (organic unsalted) butter 85g raw sugar 100ml dark treacle syrup 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon ground ginger 1 teaspoon ground bitter orange spice (optional)* 1/2 teaspoon ground clove 1 (organic) egg about 250g rye flour 1 teaspoon baking soda rye flour or plain flour for baking
* this is a spice commonly used in Scandinavian baking, but can be difficult to find elsewhere. You can leave it out, if you don't have it.
1. Combine butter, sugar, treacle and spices in a saucepan. Bring to boil then leave to cool.
2. Add egg. Combine rye flour and soda and add to the mix. Stir until smooth then leave, covered, in the fridge overnight.
3. Work the dough in batches, rolling in to thin discs, then using cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Place the cookies on baking sheets lined with baking paper and bake in 200C for about 8 minutes.
4. Cool on a wire rack, store in airtight containers (or in the freezer to keep them crisp).