Roasted Carrot & Avocado Salad with Citrus Dressing
1 pound medium carrots
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
kosher salt and pepper
2 garlic cloves
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 orange, halved
1 lemon, halved
4 1/2 inch thick slices ciabatta bread (leave out or sub for GF)
3 avocados - pitted, peeled and cut into wedges
8 ounces watercress
2 tablespoons unsalted roasted sunflower seeds
3 tablespoons whole milk plain yogurt (or sour cream) mixed with 1 tablespoon water (leave out or sub for vegan)
1. Prepare carrots: Preheat the oven to 375. Bring a deep skillet of salted water to a boil. Add the carrots and simmer, covered, over moderately low heat until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer carrots to a large roasting pan.
2. Prepare spiced oil: In a bowl, crush cumin seeds, chili, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, and 2 tablespoons vinegar. Pour over carrots, gently toss, lay on roasting sheet with cut fruit, skin side up. Roast for 25 minutes.
3. Prepare bread: Toss bread cubes on a baking sheet and add to oven for last 5 minutes of roasted time.
4. Make citrus dressing: When carrots are done roasting, using tongs, squeeze the hot orange and lemon into a bowl. Whisk in the remaining 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar and 1/3 cup olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
5. Assemble: Arrange carrots, bread cubes, sliced avocado, washed and chopped watercress, and toasted sunflower seeds, on a large platter. Drizzle with citrus dressing and then with yogurt.