From Cooking Light, September 2008. The recipe calls for 1/4 cup walnut halves divided among 6 servings. If you really can't allow yourself any leeway in potassium and phosphorus, leave the nuts for your non-dialysis diet family or friends.
1 (4-lb.) whole roasting chicken 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed 2 fresh rosemary sprigs 1 lemon, quartered 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary Kosher salt 1 teaspoon olive oil 6 shallots, peeled and quartered 3 firm pears, peeled, cored, and each cut into 8 wedges 1/2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth 1/4 cup walnut halves 1/2 cup water 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar 2 tablespoons honey 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 1 garlic clove, minced 2 teaspoons toasted walnut oil
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Place 2 crushed garlic cloves, rosemary sprigs and lemon in body cavity. Combine chopped rosemary, pinch of Kosher salt and olive oil. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Rub oil mixture under skin. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Tie legs together with twine. Place chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan.
3. Bake at 425 degrees F. for 25 minutes. Arrange shallots and pears around chicken. Add broth to pan; baste chicken. Bake 30 minutes. Stir pears and shallots; baste chicken. Add walnuts to pan. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the meaty part of thigh registers 165 degrees F. Let stand 20 minutes.
4. Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour drippings from pan into bag; add 1/2 cup water. Let stand 2 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into measuring cup, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard remaining fat. Return drippings to pan, and cook over medium heat, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add remaining pinch of salt, vinegar, honey, juice and 1 minced garlic clove; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 4 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in walnut oil.
5. Remove skin from chicken; discard skin. Carve chicken; arrange chicken and pear mixture on a platter. Serve with sauce. Makes 6 servings.