Before diving in, two wild cards in this granola are hempseed and goji berries. Here’s why we used them…
Hempseed: The edible form of Hemp is widely available (just check your local Whole Foods, or as Lauren would say… Whole Paycheck) and is commonly referred to as “hemp hearts”. Hemp is vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, trans fat-free, cholesterol free and THC-free (I know what you were thinking, but I swear). It is a complete protein (aka contains all 20 amino acids, even the essential ones aka the ones you can’t make on your own), that is easily absorbed and easily digestible; in particular it is a good source for post-workout protein because of its branch-chained amino acids which are essential is repair and growth of lean body tissues. But that’s not all folks, it contains the essential fatty acid’s omega-3 and omega-6, and in the most idyllic of ratios [3:1], and gamma linolenic acid. It is also, of course, full of fiber, both insoluble and soluble, and has a crazy list of vitamins and minerals. Not that we’re name dropping here but it has: vitamin A, B1, B3, B5, D, E, and iron and magnesium. So not only is it a complete protein but it’s fatty acids may help inflammation and improve circulation, the fiber keeps you full and stabilizes blood sugar and gives you the vitamins you need daily. Wow- that’s pretty impressive!
Goji berries: “(or wolfberries) are small, red, dried fruits that are super-charged with antioxidants. Scoring high on the ORAC scale (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) means that Goji berries will more effectively neutralize free radicals, slow the oxidative process and prevent the free radical damage caused by sun exposure.”**
So without further adieu here is the recipe… And while oats are naturally gluten free, be sure to buy the ones labeled so just in case- you dont know what else is being produced in that factory of theirs!
Makes 8+ cups
- 4 cups rolled oats, gluten free
- ¾ cup raw, unsalted chopped cashews
- ¼ cup raw, unsalted chopped almonds
- 1 ½ cup flaked coconut
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/3 cup agave
- 1-2 stevia in the raw packets
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons masala chai spice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup goji berries
- ½ cup craisins
- ½ cup hempseed
What you’ll need…
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 2 baking sheets
- Preheat the oven 350F.
- In a large bowl combine: oats, cashews, almonds, coconut, canola oil, agave, stevia, vanilla bean, vanilla extract, masala chai spice and cinnamon. Mix until evenly coated.
- Spread evenly on the 2 parchment (or silpat) lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, removing every 10 minutes to stir, until the oats are golden brown.
- Once the oat mixture is done, sprinkle the lemon zest, goji berries, craisins and hempseed and mix around
Click the photo for a slideshow of our granola!