I’ve been working on my bread skills (see details from my other blog) and learned an interesting thing today. I learned how to over-rise bread.
The jaggies on the left side are where I broke off pieces of baked-on overflowing dough (which where quite tasty). The holes are large and uneven, which is not exactly what I was going for in a sandwich bread. There was a little bit of a fall in the middle where I attempted to slash it.
Since this is a sourdough, I’ve been adding a little baking soda to help neutralize some of the sourness. This time I added the baking soda at the end of my kneading so that it would contribute to the rise more as well. It did.
At about the time it needed to go into the oven, I was popping in a pan of corn bread so it had to wait an extra 50 minutes. I think if I had put it in then it would have worked nicely, but I did get a pretty light bread out of it. This is a remarkably light bread for being 100% whole wheat.