this recipe almost to a T, with a few adaptations as marked below. They're a little time consuming to make, but well worth the effort. Hot Cross Buns are best eaten fresh and my husband likes to slather them with butter.We woke up to a cooler morning this Good Friday, so it was a perfect time to bake a fresh batch of Hot Cross Buns. I followed
Wish you all a nice Easter long weekend!
Hot Cross Buns (recipe from taste.com.au ) (makes 12)
1 tablespoon dried yeast 1 teaspoon raw caster sugar 185ml warm milk (organic, full cream) 125ml cold milk (organic, full cream) 50g butter, melted (organic, unsalted) 1 egg, lightly whisked (large, free-range, organic) 525g plain flour 200g sultanas 70g raw caster sugar 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ground clove tiny pinch of salt
75g plain flour 5-6 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons water 2 tablespoons raw caster sugar
1. Whisk dried yeast, sugar and warm milk in bowl. Leave for 10 minutes or until frothy. Whisk in cold milk, butter and egg.
2. Combine flour, sultanas, sugar, spices and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle and add yeast mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon, then knead with hand for about ten minutes until you get a smooth and elastic dough.
3. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with tea towel and leave to double in size.
4. Shape the dough into buns. Punch down the dough, then knead for a couple of minutes and divide into 12 portions. Roll each portion into a smooth bun. Grease a 16cm x 26cm tin with butter and place the buns, side by side, into the tin. Cover the tin with a tea towel and leave for about half an hour.
5. Preheat oven to 200C. Combine flour and water in a bowl and whisk into a smooth paste. Spoon the paste into a piping bag and decorate the buns with a cross pattern. Bake for 10 minutes in 200C oven, then lower the heat to 160C and continue to bake for about 20 minutes or until golden.
6. Heat water and sugar in a small saucepan and let simmer for a few minutes until the syrup thickens. Brush the hot buns with the syrup and leave to cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving.