Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Go
Search posts:

Health benefits of Watermelon

Posted Dec 25 2008 9:08am 1 Comment


Watermelon is a fruit that is loved by all especially during the summer months. It is not only delicious and thirst quenching but it is also low in calories and very nutritious.

Today, science has a better understanding of why fruits and vegetables should be a part of a healthy eating plan. You will probably enjoy them because of their wonderful flavours and bright colours but fruits and vegetables are good for you too. It is advised to have two to three servings of fruits and three to five servings of vegetables each day.

Watermelons are rich in vitamins!

Watermelon is an excellent source of Vitamins A, B6 and C, and potassium.

Vitamin A found in watermelon in the form of beta carotene is important for eye health, can help prevent night blindness and boosts immunity.

Vitamin B6 is used by the body to manufacture brain chemicals (neurotransmitters), such as serotonin, melatonin and dopamine, which preliminary research shows may help the body cope with anxiety and panic.

Vitamin C helps boost the immune system's defences against infections and viruses and can protect your body from harmful free radicals that can accelerate aging and conditions such as cataracts.

Potassium - Watermelon is also a source of potassium, a mineral necessary for water balance and found inside every cell. It is believed to help control blood pressure and possibly prevent strokes.

And Antioxidants - It is high in Lycopene second after tomatoes. Recent research suggests that Lycopene, a powerful antioxidant, is effective in preventing some forms of cancer and cardiovascular disease.

Watermelon is free from saturated fat and cholesterol which means that it can be part of a heart-healthy diet that is good for the heart and overall health.

Because of all these benefits, watermelon can be a light, fat-free dessert and thus a healthy snack for you and your family.

Watermelon contains 92% water so it is the perfect treat during the summer and replenishes body fluids lost during exercise.

High in Nutrition

Two-cup of sliced watermelon contain only 80 calories, two grams of fibre, 25% of the daily value of vitamin C, 20% of the daily value of vitamin A and 25 grams of natural fruit sugar.

How to Choose Watermelon?

A good melon should feel heavy for its size, and it shouldn’t be bruised, shrivelled, cracked or mouldy. The melon should have a faint aroma and the end should be soft.

Wash the exterior of the melon before slicing to remove any bacteria on the surface. Melons are great eaten alone, mixed in salads or with yogurt or cottage cheese.
Comments (1)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first
I totally agree with you...Watermelon is 92% water, but the other 8% is filled with good nutrition and amazing health benefits..They have proved to be good for cardiovascular diseases,colon cancer and diabetes.. 
Post a comment
Write a comment: