Winter's lack of fresh produce is sometimes depressing but citrus is delicious this time of year. I wanted something raw, tart, and soothing. This is full of goodness and would be especially festive topped with prosecco in place of seltzer.
Grapefruit-Ginger Juice with Pomegranate Ice
makes 4 small cups
2 large grapefruits, juiced
2 limes, juiced
1 cup water (plus more for ice)
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced into thin strips
seltzer water (or Prosecco)
seeds from 1 pomegranate
1. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds in an empty ice cube tray and carefully fill with water. Place in freezer to freeze.
2. In a small saucepan, heat water, honey, and ginger root to a simmer. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Place in the freezer to cool.
3. Meanwhile, strain grapefruit and lime juices into a large pitcher to remove pulp and seeds. Mix. Strain in honey-ginger water, removing the ginger slices, and mix again.
4. Place an ice cube in each glass, pour over juice and top with a splash of seltzer (or Prosecco!).
Salt Dough Hand & Footprint Ornaments:
makes 2 ornaments
1 cup flour
1 cup salt
1/2 cup warm water
1. Pre-heat oven to 300 F. Mix flour and salt together. Pour in water and combine.
2. Knead to form a soft dough and to allow salt to break down.
3. Form into two balls and roll out then print. Poke small holes in the top to loop with string.
4. Bake at 300, on a parchment lined baking sheet, for 2 hours. Let cool then paint with your favorite color.