Grain-free, sugar-free breakfast muffins
175g hazelnut meal 85g almonds, chopped 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda 1/4 teaspoon sea salt 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (optional) 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional) 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional) 2 large eggs, beaten 3 tablespoons olive oil 4 tablespoons milk/nut milk/coconut milk 200g rhubarb, washed and finely sliced
1. Preheat oven to 170C and prepare a 10-cup muffin tin.
2. Combine the hazelnut meal, almonds, baking powder and soda, salt and spices in a bowl.
3. Whisk together the eggs, oil and milk and add this to the dry ingredients.
4. Fold through the rhubarb.
5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the muffins feel firm to touch. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.
And if you want to go sugar-free...
Start by analysing your daily sugar consumption: Do you add sugar to your tea/coffee? Do you drink soft drinks? Eat sweets or chocolate? How much sugar is in your breakfast cereal/muesli/yoghurt?
Get in the habit of swapping your daily snacks to sugar-free ones: Try home-made vegetable chips (kale is great), nuts or home-made treats like these muffins.
Try mineral water (or tap water!) or herbal teas instead of sugary drinks. Roasted dandelion tea is a delicious option. Add ground cinnamon and enjoy with home-made rice or nut milk.
Read more... " Is Sugar Toxic? " - NY Times article
" I Quit Sugar " - Sarah Wilson