I love crumble of any type and there is always lots of rhubarb growing in the garden. This recipe makes a delicious dessert that can be served warm or cold. I taught participants in the Preserving Workshops of The Complete Urban Farmer course at CERES and we ate it with vanilla soy icecream!
Ingredients – Fruit:
1 ½ cups of rhubarb (chopped into 5cm lengths)
¼ cup of caster sugar
Ingredients – Crumble:
1 cup of almond meal
3 heaped tablespoons of gluten-free plain flour
60g butter or dairy-free margarine
3 tablespoons of brown sugar
1/2 cup of slivered almonds
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Peel, core and slice apples.
3. Put apples and chopped rhubarb in a saucepan with 1/4 cup of caster sugar.
4. Heat gently for 10 minutes (until fruit is soft).
5. Pour fruit into a baking dish.
6. Put all the crumble ingredients into a food processor and mix or pulse until the mixture resembles chunky crumbs.
7. Sprinkle this mixture over the fruit.
8. Bake in oven for approximately 35 minutes until contents are heated through and topping is golden brown.